Wanted G70-14 Firestone Indy 500 Tire

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM

Wanted G70-14 Firestone Indy 500 Tire

I am looking for a vintage G70-14 Firestone Indy 500 to have as a spare for my 1970 Cutlass. Thought it would be nice to have an original tire. PM me if anyone knows of one
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Olds fanatic

You mean like this one?

Sorry for the tease, but this one is in the trunk of my own Pace Car. I had it powder coated with the rest of the wheels when I restored the car. It's pretty low on tread but it still is what it is, and I am not aware that these have ever been reproduced.

This is the actual spare that came with this car when it was new.

Funny story...

Back in 1990 when I was negotiating with the original owner about buying this car, I stopped by a jobsite he was on one day to talk with him. I pulled into the parking lot and there was the car...with this spare on the car! He said he had a flat a few days ago and he put the spare on the car. I asked him if he wouldn't mind fixing his flat so he could GET MY SUPER RARE INDY 500 TIRE OFF THE GROUND!!

Actually, I did ask him that, but I was pretty calm and polite about it (but I really was burning up inside). Even in 1990 I knew this was a rare piece and should be preserved.

So...good luck finding one. I'm sure I've only seen a few in all the years I've been into Pace Cars. There's probably never been enough demand for anyone to spend the money reproducing them.

I will certainly pass on to you any leads if I come across one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spareTires 001.jpg (43.7 KB, 28 views)
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM

This summer I was horse back riding with my wife and girls and we went past an old race track that is long gone. From a distance I could see a stock pile of tires of which some looked like indy 500 tires and other versions of the wide oval tires - this was southwest MI. I'm sure they were all garbage but not sure what hurt more, a pile of tires rotting away in nature or the fact I didn't check to see if any of them were at least worth using as a cool old spare
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
NôôB

wasnt there someone selling repop old polyglas tires for like 250 a pop?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM

There is an official photo from Indy showing the Pace Car and its driver. The 442 has the Indy 500 tires. When researching the 1970 Pace Car and its detailing, I came across another Cutlass that was sold by one of the classic car dealers. That car had an original tire in the trunk. Just thinking it would be nice to have an original as a spare also. The only repro tires available as I'm sure most have found out are the Goodyear Wide Treads and Firestone Wide Ovals.

Yes we all regret not saving some of the vintage parts that are not being reproduced. I remember looking thru a pile of my father's old tires looking for what he had.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by sicky olds
wasnt there someone selling repop old polyglas tires for like 250 a pop?
The direct answer to your question is yes, there are a number of Polyglas tires being reproduced. However, the tires in question here, the RWL Firestone Indy 500 (pictured previously), as far as I know have never been reproduced. Also, as far as I know, these tires were only used on the 1970 Olds Pace Cars. The #1 Pace Car used the Firestones; the #2 Pace Car used the Goodyears. As for the 626 Pace Car replicas, some used the Firestone tires, some used the Goodyears. What all of this means is that these tires are extremely difficult to find. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any this.