Weather strip b85

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Weather strip b85

It appears several people are looking for this item Patton is leading the charge. I thought I'd post some photos to help everyone in the search.
AL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rear qt B85.jpg (29.1 KB, 31 views)
S6302780.jpg (82.6 KB, 29 views)
S6302768.jpg (27.2 KB, 30 views)
Door B85.jpg (70.3 KB, 28 views)
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:30 PM

I'm trying to reach Re-Pops in Arkansas....their number (got it from the 'net) isn't functioning. They are a subsidiary of Clark Industries (Clark makes industrial rubber products including the splash shield material) and Clark shows to have the same number.

Hope these guys didn't go under!! It's entirely possible they disconnected the number shown on the 'net to keep retail type customers from calling. If all else fails I'll find some other business nearby and call them to see if the place is still in business.

The non-B85 sweepers can be modified to fit the B85 trim....you basically peel off the round stainless beading and then trim off the outboard facing rubber portion of the sweeper. This is our "fall back" option if nobody has the stuff.

MY442 (if you are reading this) - Do you remember what was wrong with Fusick's "B85" w/strips?? Was it something that could be modified slightly, etc to get a decent fit??

Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Patton,
Is this the kit you ordered from Steele? https://secure.steelerubber.com/search_frameset.php
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:31 PM

I believe it's this part number:

80-0989-57

I will recheck tomorrow as I now see they have a "standard" material and an "original" material at a higher cost. I think the guy sold me the lower priced set by looking at the prices so I need to correct it if possible.

He never mentioned the higher cost set....I'll see if it's available.

Thanks

Last edited by 70Post; September 22nd, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Patton, did you get the parts? If so are they the right ones?
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Received the "standard" set and it was a bad joke....flimsy and very crudely made (REAL crude), way too wide of a lip hanging over the door skin side, etc, etc. Sent it back. They were PUI brand (not manufactured by Steele). I will be ordering the "original" set soon and hopefully that will be correct. PUI makes some good parts so don't take this as an overall slam on their stuff. Why they even tried to make this set and sell it with a straight face, however, boggles my mind. These looked like something you would have seen YEARS (decades) ago when a company was making a "first attempt" at reproducing some part so they'd have something to sell.

Kudos, however, for the customer service at Steele. They took care of the return shipping on these and issued a "call tag" so UPS came by and picked them back up.

The next set isn't manufactured by Steele either.

CURRENT SCORE: 0 - 1
Old October 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70Post
I will be ordering the "original" set soon and hopefully that will be correct. PUI makes some good parts so don't take this as an overall slam on their stuff.
Sorry to hear. Who are you ordering from next. I only treat the info about the B85 as info, not slam. I really want to get a set to put my stainless on. Please keep us updated. Thx
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

I have discusssed this item with BAP. Brothers Automotive. Several weeks now but they knew what I was talking about and was going to fabricate them with the glass guides on the ends. Placed an order which includes 8 pieces. Will keep everyone posted. I still need the rear quarter exterior pieces. Mine are "OK" but would like to have better.
AL
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:19 PM
wait.... what....

No one else has any experience with Fusick's B85 weather strip?
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

I spoke with them and the fellow said that theirs would absolutely not work. Has the chrome bead. He was honest. I think Patton tried them awhile back.
AL
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Wonderful pictures of your restoration. Looks very familar! A fantastic job!!
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sorry to hear. Who are you ordering from next. I only treat the info about the B85 as info, not slam. I really want to get a set to put my stainless on. Please keep us updated. Thx
Allan - The next set is also coming from Steele. It's what they call their "Original" quality set. I wish I had known this earlier as it would have saved us all some time. When I called them direct awhile back and asked them about the w/strips the guy never mentioned that they had two different quality levels available ("standard" - what I just sent back, and "Original" which is supposed to be better and costs a bit more). So, I told him to send me a set and they did.

I never got on the 'Net to check their site - I just called instead. If I had checked their site I might have noticed the listings for the two sets.

What the heck.....at least we were able to eliminate one possibility by checking the cheaper "standard" set. We'll see how the next set looks.

Oldzzy - A couple guys I know up in Dallas tried the Fusick set on the B85 moldings for his '70 W30 and ended up sending it back....said it fit terrible, incorrect, etc. I haven't seen it in my own two hands or tried it but that was enough to convince me to go elsewhere and see what was available.

NOTE ON WHAT AL MENTIONS: When they say "8 pieces" it means they include the inner sweeper/fuzzies (top of the door panel) as well. The PUI set I got from Steele also included those. Typically, if you buy already-built door panels from Legendary, these inner sweepers will already be included so you may end up with some extra parts.

Last edited by 70Post; October 27th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.