1984 old custom cruiser wagon

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2019, 09:17 AM

1984 old custom cruiser wagon

Would anyone have a good power antennae for an 84 olds custom cruiser.? Thanks. Phil scott
Old March 5th, 2019, 09:36 AM

Phil, unless you are doing a concours restoration you can get an aftermarket power antenna from the auto parts store that will fit fine in your OCC.
Old March 5th, 2019, 09:45 AM

Well i bought one on line some time back, it was chinese of course, lasted about a month. Only problem with an original one is the neoprene cord inside that gets old and brittle and breaks. That is what happened to my original one. I will check and see if my auto parts store has one. Plenty on line but that chinese stuff is totally unreliable and no one will refund it being electrical. Anyway, thanks a million for the reply. Phil
Old March 5th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Phil, do you have a GM part number for your antenna? I have several NOS from around that time.
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:12 AM

Boy i wish i did. I have no idea. I have no idea what i did with the original one. I would never throw it away but can't find it. Have no idea how to find out what that part number would be. I do have the 84 olds custom cruiser body factory service manual but i don't think it shows any part numbers. Wish i could tell you.

Phil scott
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by philjr
Well i bought one on line some time back, it was chinese of course, lasted about a month. Only problem with an original one is the neoprene cord inside that gets old and brittle and breaks. That is what happened to my original one. I will check and see if my auto parts store has one. Plenty on line but that chinese stuff is totally unreliable and no one will refund it being electrical. Anyway, thanks a million for the reply. Phil
You can buy a replacement mast for your antenna. It's very common for the nylon drive cable to break. The GM part number is 22038195. It's discontinued but you can frequently find OEM ones on ebay. This same mast also fits Corvettes of the 1980s, so there are a boatload of aftermarket replacement ones available as well.
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Olds Collector

Power Antenna Repair

Hi Joe: Excellent information as usual!! Both NOS and aftermarket are available now. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles

Old March 5th, 2019, 10:57 AM

I need the entire assy. I threw away the old unit apparently. The mast did not break, the nylon cable inside that winds around the drum and raises and lowers the antenna broke. I did buy a replacement one on e bay and it was chinese and last about a month. Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking. Phil scott
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

I need the entire assy. I threw away the old unit apparently. The mast did not break, the nylon cable inside that winds around the drum and raises and lowers the antenna broke. I did buy a replacement one on e bay and it was chinese and last about a month. Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking. Phil scott
To be clear, the mast and cable are one assembly. The part number I posted and the ads that Vista posted are the complete mast with nylon cable. I've rebuilt these before. It is not difficult. You're much more likely to find a unit with a broken mast than one that is pristine. Of course, I'd be happy to put a new mast in the unit from my 84 parts car and sell it for an appropriate price.
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:17 AM

Well as i said earlier i have no unit at all. The entire original unit is long gone. What do you want for an oem unit? I hate to buy another one of those chinese replacements. Thanks. Phil scott
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well as i said earlier i have no unit at all. The entire original unit is long gone. What do you want for an oem unit? I hate to buy another one of those chinese replacements. Thanks. Phil scott
Let me dig it out and make sure the motor runs. Do you want it as-is or with a new mast installed already? Where are you located?
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:36 AM

I live in fort myers, florida 33905 . If it runs and goes up and down i will take it as it is. To save some money. I never ever use the radio but i want the car to have all it;'s original equipment. This is the one last thing i need to put on it. Well that and a tailgate ajar switch which apparently is non existent now. If you ever run across a tailgate ajar switch for one of these olds wagons let me know. They are part of the bottom lock and i would buy the whole thing to get the switch. Apparently my reply did not go through. I am not real used to the site yet. I have none of the original antennae left. I need the entire assy. The chinese one's do not last more than a month or so. Thanks for the help;. I hope this reply goes through.
.thanks for your replies and help. Phil scott

Last edited by Olds64; March 7th, 2019 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Merged posts
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:12 AM

Phil, I updated your posts. I hope you find a good antenna and tailgate switch.