Stock 350 4 Bbl Intake Manifold Wanted

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Oldscarnut

Lightbulb Stock 350 4 Bbl Intake Manifold Wanted

I am just about to the machine work phase of the block after making my #6 heads big valves and a scoshi bit of porting and polishing. For what I paid for this, I could have had aluminum heads, but I wanted the factory version. This engine came with OEM cast iron 2 Bbl intake which had to go, but I am still leaning away from Aluminum intake and toward cast iron for my purposes.. For a street runner, the data does not show a significant difference between the stock vs aftermarket performance. So with this in mind, I am hoping to find a cast iron intake that needs little but to be bolted on and a carb attached to it. I have a quadrajet from I-5 with electric choke spec'd for the W-31 in the works. Any suggestions are appreciated, and if you have a workable stock intake, please let me know your price.
Old November 29th, 2018, 04:24 PM

You have ported heads, so to take full advantage of that work you likely need a better-than-factory camshaft. At that point, an intake manifold such as a Performer RPM may be better suited to your application that a factory cast iron intake.
Old November 29th, 2018, 06:01 PM

Did you read his post? He is not out for performance but wants more stock looking pieces. Some of us are not out for high performance engines or aftermarket pieces that don't look stock. Since his heads were ported a little might be for economy rather than performance.
Old November 29th, 2018, 07:29 PM

PM sent
Old November 29th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Oldscarnut

I had them ported to meet the gasket openings only, so not a hot rod head just W31 valves and springs. The shipping weight may be prohibitive. I am not concerned with OEM look as much as function. I'm trying to cut corners on the cost that has been nearly double what I anticipated. I built this one because I thought the crate engines were ridiculously expensive and yet, mine is already nearing $3k without the pistons and bearings and me doing all of the work. Maybe I have it wrong but the cast iron ones are not rare or even preferred in builds but the price is near a performer and requires machining. So much for saving money and going simpler!

Last edited by Chuck Cole; November 29th, 2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Chuck, I have an original cast iron intake from a 68 Cutlass Supreme 350. It has provisions for a divorced choke and is in great shape. Nothing broken..

PM me if interested with an offer. I'm in Houston
Old November 30th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Oldscarnut

Steve, the site said I cannot pm you or you have been prevented.. I made an offer of $100 plus shipping.
Old November 30th, 2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Did you read his post? He is not out for performance but wants more stock looking pieces. Some of us are not out for high performance engines or aftermarket pieces that don't look stock. Since his heads were ported a little might be for economy rather than performance.
Well yes, I did read his post, which is obvious by the content of information I posted in reply. I was addressing his thought that there wasn't a significant difference in performance between an aftermarket intake manifold and a factory one. I think this indicates that he was considering performance and not factory looks; he just didn't think there was justification for an aluminum aftermarket manifold, while I thought that the head work warranted a better-than-factory intake manifold

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole
For a street runner, the data does not show a significant difference between the stock vs aftermarket performance.
I will point out that I saw a significant difference in performance on the street between the factory intake and the Performer RPM on my car.
Old November 30th, 2018, 04:55 PM

Steve, the site said I cannot pm you or you have been prevented.. I made an offer of $100 plus shipping.
Chuck, I'll take it. I sent you a PM with my phone number.
Old December 1st, 2018, 07:59 AM

Chuck, Email me @ Steve.Winner.1@GMail.com