Wanted: B85 post coupe molding 1970 442

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2018, 05:14 AM

Wanted: B85 post coupe molding 1970 442

I have asked this before with no luck. Still looking. I hope someone has a stash that they are ready to sell. I have some parts that I would be willing to swap or cash. Let me know what you have. A couple of people said they had "NOS" and would sell to me but haven't yet.
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:58 PM

PM sent
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:30 PM

What is a B85 ?
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
What is a B85 ?
Belt reveal molding. It is used on Post Coupes. It goes around the windows and is on the "post". Basically a trim piece that really makes the car. From what I understand not many cars came with it. I am not sure how to upload a picture of a post coupe with it. Maybe someone will post it.

Last edited by easyd; January 8th, 2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 442crzy
PM sent
PM responded to.
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:53 PM

Easy, i sent this link, my buddy has some of them, both doors...his name is Mike he will contact you i'm sure..if not PM me in a day or two and i will send you his email address
Old January 8th, 2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
Easy, i sent this link, my buddy has some of them, both doors...his name is Mike he will contact you i'm sure..if not PM me in a day or two and i will send you his email address
Thank you sir. That was mighty kind of you. If all pans out I will pay it forward.
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Easy, all his moldings are damaged..the car went thru hail at some time in its life and they are beat to ****
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:24 PM

easyd - clarify what you're looking for. The "belt molding" option on post coupes only consists of FOUR pieces of anodized aluminum trim.....all located at the base of the door and quarter glass pieces (and these pieces also get the window fuzzies/sweepers attached to them).

The POST pieces are part of a separate option.....a "bright trim" option for the window frames and door and quarter glass posts. Without this option the quarter glass still got some trim pieces but painted body color instead of bright anodized aluminum. Door glass frames were left bare steel (body color) with no trim at all.

So....you apparently need the FOUR belt molding pieces that run along the top of each door and top of the QPs at the lower quarter glass edges....are you looking for other ADDITIONAL pieces?

Thanks

EDIT AND ADD: I also think there's a real possibility you could take NON-POST B85 trim pieces and modify them for a post coupe application. On the door pieces part of the length would get cut off from the front and a notch cut out and the alum edge for the notch bent down to form a lip to go around the vent window vertical "post".

On the quarter glass the only mod would be to cut a notch to clear the post and bend the edges to form the lip. Length is the same on post and non-post pieces for the quarter glass belt trim.

BUT.....I'd have to check/compare the triangular holes where the sweepers are attached....some mods might be needed there such as adding some triangular fuzzie attachment holes in certain locations.

Again, this is a POSSIBILITY ...can't guarantee it would work without first checking on the attachment of the fuzzies. I do know the mods to the outside surfaces (ie -the cutout/notch for the vent window post and the cutout/notch for the quarter glass post) are "do-able"....it's aluminum and can be "formed"/modded/bent, etc.

The reason I mention this is the non-post B85 moldings are more common....even for "S" body style cars. Door trim pieces for non-post cars can be sourced from both "S" hardtops AND Supreme hardtops. The quarter glass trims (for modification) would have to come from a B85-optioned "S" non-post car.....not as easy to find as Supreme moldings but still not as rare as post B85 quarter glass pieces.

At this point I'm about 85-90% sure the mods could be done on the non-post pieces and they'd work fine....the 10-15% of uncertainty is the window fuzzie attachment. I have both styles here and I'll do some closer looking and comparisons.

Last edited by 70Post; January 9th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old January 10th, 2018, 03:23 AM

What is the trick for getting these trim pieces off without damaging them? I found a full set on a parts car and the guy totally mangled every piece getting them off saying they were a total b**** and then wondered why I changed my mind . Except for the top rear piece, I understood them to just snap on/off.
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by scott_442
What is the trick for getting these trim pieces off without damaging them? I found a full set on a parts car and the guy totally mangled every piece getting them off saying they were a total b**** and then wondered why I changed my mind . Except for the top rear piece, I understood them to just snap on/off.
With the help of my neighbor, a body shop owner, we spent ~ 1 1/2 hours removing the B85 trim from a '69 post coupe that I had. I now have a set of plastic trim removal tools that I purchased from my tool man . It takes a lot of patience and care to remove these without damage.
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:04 AM

Scott 442 - the B85 moldings (4 PIECES) are held on with screws that go through the fuzzies. You may need to lower the door and quarter glass pieces to get a good shot/view at the screws.

Sounds like you are referring to the OTHER trim pieces up around the door and quarter glass. B85 is JUST the 4 lower pieces.

MOST IMPORTANTLY ON THE B85 TRIM!!!!! - there is ONE SCREW at the front of each DOOR TRIM PIECE that is somewhat hidden behind the vent window stuff. What happens is people remove the other screws on these door trim pieces and start pulling....but this forward-most screw, if left in place, holds the front of the trim piece down on the door and when it's lifted the trim pivot at this screw location and gets bent and stressed causing a crack in the aluminum trim.

As far as the pieces I think you're referring to Scott.....

>Curved piece at top of the quarter glasses - held on with screws

>Vertical "post" trim at FRONT edge of quarter glasses - held on with clips or screws....plastic quarter glass post trim gets removed from inside the car and then you have access for removing the post trim

>Door Frame Trim Pieces - 3 per door - all of these trim pieces are just "snapped" into place......sort of like drip rail stainless.

Easyd - Sorry - I looked at a B85 door trim piece again and didn't realize there are TWO "notches" in each door piece. Forgot that the door trim DOES run all the way up the door under the WHOLE vent window. I was thinking the trim STOPPED at the vent window vertical post for some reason and I was wrong. SO......modifying non-post door pieces looks to be a "non-starter". So much for my idea insofar as the DOOR pieces are concerned. Still probably "do-able" on non-post quarter glass pieces but not the door pieces. "False start" on my part....sorry about that.

Last edited by 70Post; January 10th, 2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
easyd - clarify what you're looking for. The "belt molding" option on post coupes only consists of FOUR pieces of anodized aluminum trim.....all located at the base of the door and quarter glass pieces (and these pieces also get the window fuzzies/sweepers attached to them).

The POST pieces are part of a separate option.....a "bright trim" option for the window frames and door and quarter glass posts. Without this option the quarter glass still got some trim pieces but painted body color instead of bright anodized aluminum. Door glass frames were left bare steel (body color) with no trim at all.

So....you apparently need the FOUR belt molding pieces that run along the top of each door and top of the QPs at the lower quarter glass edges....are you looking for other ADDITIONAL pieces?

EDIT AND ADD: I also think there's a real possibility you could take NON-POST B85 trim pieces and modify them for a post coupe application. On the door pieces part of the length would get cut off from the front and a notch cut out and the alum edge for the notch bent down to form a lip to go around the vent window vertical "post".

On the quarter glass the only mod would be to cut a notch to clear the post and bend the edges to form the lip. Length is the same on post and non-post pieces for the quarter glass belt trim.

BUT.....I'd have to check/compare the triangular holes where the sweepers are attached....some mods might be needed there such as adding some triangular fuzzie attachment holes in certain locations.

Again, this is a POSSIBILITY ...can't guarantee it would work without first checking on the attachment of the fuzzies. I do know the mods to the outside surfaces (ie -the cutout/notch for the vent window post and the cutout/notch for the quarter glass post) are "do-able"....it's aluminum and can be "formed"/modded/bent, etc.

The reason I mention this is the non-post B85 moldings are more common....even for "S" body style cars. Door trim pieces for non-post cars can be sourced from both "S" hardtops AND Supreme hardtops. The quarter glass trims (for modification) would have to come from a B85-optioned "S" non-post car.....not as easy to find as Supreme moldings but still not as rare as post B85 quarter glass pieces.

At this point I'm about 85-90% sure the mods could be done on the non-post pieces and they'd work fine....the 10-15% of uncertainty is the window fuzzie attachment. I have both styles here and I'll do some closer looking and comparisons.
70POST you are correct. I need the (4) pieces of belt molding that runs along the top of each door and at the top of the quarter panels at the lower quarter glass edge. Sorry. I know I was clear as mud.

I haven't been on here for awhile. It is for a post coupe.

Thanks

Last edited by easyd; March 5th, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old March 21st, 2018, 08:33 AM

TTT Still looking. I have some nos/oem parts to trade. Some rare. Some not.

Last edited by easyd; March 23rd, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by easyd
ttt still looking. I have some nos/oem parts to trade. Some rare. Some not.

ttt
Old March 24th, 2018, 09:39 PM

Is the bright trim on the post, above the rear windows and around the door window frames the B90 option ?
Old March 25th, 2018, 05:54 AM

That is my understanding.
See here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ort-coupe.html
Old March 25th, 2018, 06:16 AM

Thanks Jim
Old March 25th, 2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
Is the bright trim on the post, above the rear windows and around the door window frames the B90 option ?

That is correct that is the B90. B85 sits on the door panel and on the quarter panel. Two pieces per side.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 04:01 AM

Ttt
Old April 4th, 2018, 08:10 AM

Isn't the B90 option 5 pieces per side? 2 for the rear quarter and 3 for the front?
Old April 4th, 2018, 08:12 AM

I was thinking there was a piece that runs along the edge of the cozy wing but maybe not.
Old April 4th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by scott_442
Isn't the B90 option 5 pieces per side? 2 for the rear quarter and 3 for the front?

I believe it is the 5 pieces, see the link in post #17 above.