Wheel hubs for 1966 Dynamic

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Wheel hubs for 1966 Dynamic

Hello Olds friends. Does anybody know if these wheel hubs would work for a 1966 Dynamic?--
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/CH30556/

If not, do you know a source for 66 B-body wheel hubs?

Thanks a million,
Craig
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by king_doodle
Hello Olds friends. Does anybody know if these wheel hubs would work for a 1966 Dynamic?--
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/CH30556/

If not, do you know a source for 66 B-body wheel hubs?

Thanks a million,
Craig
Not even close. Those are A-body hubs with the 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern. The Dynamic has a 5 x 5" bolt pattern. Wheel bearings are different also. The A-body hubs will fit a 1966 Jetstar 88, which uses the A-body bolt pattern, but not the other B-body cars. I'm not aware of anyone selling replacement hubs. No, Impala parts do NOT fit.

You have to really try to hurt the hubs. What's wrong that new studs or bearings and races can't fix?
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks for your response, Joe. When I got my Cragar SS wheels a couple of weeks ago, the dudes at the tire place discovered balance weights welded onto the wheel hubs in front (and onto the backing plate in back). They knocked 'em off when a chisel and hammer so the wheels would go on flush. Now there's a little bit of shimmy in the ride at some speeds. So....I figured I'd just try to find nice machined wheel studs that didn't need any balancing.
Old October 27th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for your response, Joe. When I got my Cragar SS wheels a couple of weeks ago, the dudes at the tire place discovered balance weights welded onto the wheel hubs in front (and onto the backing plate in back). They knocked 'em off when a chisel and hammer so the wheels would go on flush. Now there's a little bit of shimmy in the ride at some speeds. So....I figured I'd just try to find nice machined wheel studs that didn't need any balancing.
Sounds like the tire store's problem to fix. In any case, the right answer is to balance the wheels and tires on the car. Of course, the tire store is unlikely to have that equipment any more.
Old October 27th, 2017, 02:23 PM

.....discovered balance weights welded onto the wheel hubs in front (and onto the backing plate in back)........
If, by dumb luck, you still have the old weights and can identify where they came off of, there is a way to get the balance pretty darn close. You would have to add a smaller weight out toward the outside diameter of the wheels. The distance from the center of the hub x the old weight (inch/ounces) would be divided by the distance to the new weight location. For example: a 3 oz. weight, 4" from the center, would be 12 in/oz. If the weights that they are placing on your new wheels are at 7.5", you would add 12/7.5, or 1.6 oz. The weights would have to be in the same direction, radially, as the original weights. It works.
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:59 PM

Rocketman269V, thanks a lot. Great advice.
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm confused here. First, there are no balance weights welded to the hub. Any weights would be welded to the DRUM. Second, there were certainly no weights welded to "the backing plate" on the rear. Are you SURE you know what you are asking for?

Weights on the drum would look like this:

Old October 28th, 2017, 09:40 AM

Joe: No, I don't know what I'm asking about. Honestly. I don't know the name of all these parts. To add to the confusion, I've seen contradictory names used for the same thing, and local people I talk to don't know a coil from a condenser. Thus, my inconsistent use of terminology. I'm a fast learner though, and I appreciate your kind assistance. One day I hope to be a Joe.

The lugs/drums/hubs/whatever are now covered by the Cragar SS wheels, but you can see what I'm talking about in the 2 photos. The arrows point to the places where the weights were removed. In the photo showing 2 arrows, there were actually 3 weights removed, but you can't see the mark for the middle weight.

This one had 3 weights on it

This one had 1 weight on it
Old October 28th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

That's the brake drum, as in the photo I posted above. Again, I question the quality of the work from this shop if they did that. The weights are there for a reason. Removing them will cause imbalance. If they removed the weights, the need to balance the wheels on the car to compensate for the loss of balance. This is their responsibility, especially if they knocked the weights off without your approval.
Old October 28th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, it they just beat the hell out of those weights to knock them off, there's also a chance that they bent the drums. What morons.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:14 AM

The quandary was that the wheels would not fit onto the car with the weights in place. The Cragars wouldn't lay flush with them in the way. So, it was either remove them or not have wheels. Should they have balanced the new wheels? Yes.

My inclination now is to find a couple of drums that don't require any kind of balancing. I suspect that will be difficult.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

My inclination now is to find a couple of drums that don't require any kind of balancing. I suspect that will be difficult.
You suspect correctly. Replacement drums for the 65-70 cars are nearly non-existent.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:23 AM

In that case....maybe it's time to try a front disc brake conversion.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

In that case....maybe it's time to try a front disc brake conversion.
Hopefully those Cragars will clear the calipers...

I'm surprised you have so much trouble with these wheels. The American Racing TTOs I put on my 67 D88 fit with no drama at all.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:31 AM

No drama, just learning opportunities.
Old October 28th, 2017, 01:50 PM

It's too bad that you're not closer to me. I have a Hunter, "on the car" high speed wheel balancer.
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

I would think somewhere in GA someone has an on car tire balance machine. If you still have the weights they knocked off you can have them welded back on and use a thin spacer to off set the wheels.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:06 PM

Rocketman: I've heard of those Hunter dynamic balancers. What a great tool that must be. If I were closer I would definitely come by with some beers and we'd balance the heck out of it.

Oldcutlass: Yes, I'll probably find a shop with a dynamic balancer of some sort. Those weights are long gone, though.

--> Here's an idea. I may just go to Harbor Freight and get one of those bubble balancers. Use it for the wheels & tires first, and then for the drums. It will be interesting to see what kind of results I get.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:29 PM

Here's an interesting article about wheel balancing from the July 1966 issue of Popular Mechanics. Pretty cool. The cover shows my next car.
Old October 29th, 2017, 08:55 PM

I have good used drums for 65 olds 88 and 68 88 if these will work frt and rear, will need turning, but very useable. rob

Last edited by oldolds88; October 29th, 2017 at 08:57 PM.