Wanted: 1967 Cutlass fan shroud

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Wanted: 1967 Cutlass fan shroud

I may be posting on the wrong place....sorry if I am. Haven't got the sight figured out yet...(newbie & a computer idiot) Looking for a fan shroud for my cutlass..67 with A/C & 5.3.liter the top mount is broken, and no room to put a washer or nut to fasten it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:11 PM

I created a new parts wanted thread and moved your message to this location. I think you'll have a better chance of others seeing it here than in an older parts wanted thread. Good Luck! John
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:17 PM

Thank you, as I said, I'm not very good at computers, and I will eventually figure this sight out...(I Hope)

Thank you again.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:34 AM

Do you have a picture of the shroud you need? Is the radiator a crossflow or are the tanks on the top and bottom?
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:08 AM

That's a common problem on those shrouds. I looked for another shroud but most I found were broken or cracked in the same area. Both my upper mounts were broken. I can't remember if I drilled the holes I used for the zip tie fix or if they were already there but this fix has worked flawlessly for my car for over 5 years. I loosely installed the upper mounting hardware and looped a BLACK zip tie (white will degrade and break, don't use them in this application, plus black matches the factory shroud color) around the bolt shaft and back through the small hole in the shroud. Then while holding the shroud in the correct installed position, lightly tightened the zip tie to hold the shroud against the radiator and then I tightened the original hardware taking care to keep the zip tie around the bolt shaft and above the nut and extra washer I added to give it a bigger surface to hold tight against. Then I pulled the ties fully tight and snipped off the excess. The only clue I have done this is the boxed end of the zip tie sticking out of the small hole in the shroud. I've attached a couple of pictures to give you an idea about what I did.
OPGI makes a 67 shroud but the reviews aren't good. It's fiberglass and needs to be painted, apparently only fits with the 400, plus it's $174 plus shipping.
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/C220266/
Sorry my second picture is so bad I can't access the other side of the car without getting it out of the garage and moving the DD's from the driveway first but I did both sides the same way. Basically both of the mounts had the top of the mounting pyramid broken and cracked away from years of vibration. I know you are looking for a replacement but maybe you can keep using your original. Good luck with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 1 (5).JPG (2.14 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
photo 2 (4).JPG (984.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by texxas; September 5th, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Fan Shroud

The radiator is a crossflow, Tanks are on the side. I will try to post a picture later...Thanks!

Michael
Old September 5th, 2017, 01:21 PM

Texxas, on my 67, I used a old soldering gun I had and some plastic and plastic welded mine back together. The better you get the less sanding! If you use a old soldering gun for this you will not be able to use it for regular soldering anymore. This works great plastic welding things back together. I would take pictures but I sold the car last year
Old September 5th, 2017, 01:30 PM

Fan shrouds, being optional that year, command some coin. Good used are $130 plus.
Old September 5th, 2017, 01:30 PM

Also unless they have been improved the fiberglass replacements do not fit well.
Old September 5th, 2017, 05:01 PM

67 fan shroud almost NOS

Here you go he is in Calif. on craig's List has many. Not sure if he ships.
rpggh-6257843089@sale.craigslist.org
Old September 5th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Texxas, on my 67, I used a old soldering gun I had and some plastic and plastic welded mine back together. The better you get the less sanding! If you use a old soldering gun for this you will not be able to use it for regular soldering anymore. This works great plastic welding things back together. I would take pictures but I sold the car last year
Interesting, the tenant who just moved out of one of my rentals after tearing out the floor tile with out permission, skill, common sense, or the tools to replace it, left one good thing behind in the house. A pretty nice little soldering set, probably $25. That's certainly off sets the $800 of flooring he ripped out. Maybe I'll give it a try eventually, but I'm pretty happy with the shroud right now. It's tight and trouble free... unlike my missing tenant.

Last edited by texxas; September 5th, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:48 PM

Gerald, Where in California? I could not click on the link you provided. And what is the heading? Fan Shroud, or Cutlass Parts? Thanks!
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:41 PM

try 67 Cutlass, parts Bay Area Nor Cal Craig's List 6257843089
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:35 PM
MurderdOlds

Originally Posted by BGVISTACRUISER
[IMG]https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/classicoldsmobile.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-

.jpg The picture shows it upside down. [/I]

where could i find that upper radiator hold down???? I soooo need one of those!!
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:51 PM
MurderdOlds

Originally Posted by BGVISTACRUISER
I could sell you one.....
Post pics and price for what fits 1967 Cutlass, please! Thanks!!!
Old September 26th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Try this number. San Jose, Ca. 408) 529-3631 ext. 408 he has almost NOS for $295
He works nights.