Looking for Toronado Voice Alert Module GM Part #22520749

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Looking for Toronado Voice Alert Module GM Part #22520749

Hello everyone, I'm looking to replace my standard chime module on my 1985 Toronado with the Voice Alert Module. The RPO code for this option was UV1. The specific part was available on 1984-85 Toronado's, 1985-1987 98 Regency's and 1986-1987 Delta 88 Royal's.

The GM part number for the module is 22520749.

PM me if you have one available or know where I can find one!

Thanks,

Andrew
Old March 25th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Wow I had a 84 Toronado with this option cool option good luck with your search
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:05 PM

Hello Andrew,

If a car came without a voice alert and had only a chime would it be that all one had to do is change the module to have the voice alert?
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:16 PM

Hi Rocketguy: As far as I can tell from reviewing the 1985 Chassis Service Manual and the 1985 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual the UV1 voice alert module and the Y67 chime module are interchangeable. For 1985 they use the same the same plug and wiring. Thus, as long as the car was equipped with the Y67 module (IIRC Part #22520758) then swapping to a UV1 module 22520749 is plug and play.

If you happen to find one of these modules let me know. ;-)

Last edited by Andrew1980; March 31st, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old April 5th, 2017, 02:48 PM

Found one! ;-)
Old April 22nd, 2017, 01:43 PM

Well after some unexpected complications, my Toronado now has voice alert! When the module originally arrived, I plugged it in and verified that it was in-op! To make a long story short, I ended up taking it to a buddy of mine who is an electronics expert. He was able to fix it by replacing two bad capacitors and a failed 12 volt to 5 volt transformer.

After he replaced the parts, I reinstalled the module in my car and confirmed that it works great! :-)
Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:59 AM

What is the voice like? Is it a man's or woman's?
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:07 AM

It's a very computerized sounding male voice. It it uses the same Texas Instruments voice chip as a Speak and Spell. If I was more tech savvy I would upload a video. But there are a couple of video clips of the Toronado voice alert on Youtube.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 08:51 AM

I am also looking for the UV1, Delco 22520749 for my 1988 Trofeo. Hopefully someone else has one for sale. I had the UV1 option years ago in my 87 Trofeo. I do know it was not an option in 1988 and it may not work. It is a aluminum case and not a plastic case like the chime module and was used in other Olds models. Please let me know. Thanks
Old April 9th, 2022, 09:16 AM

Hi Andrew - not sure if you have been active on this forum or not recently - I have an 85 Caliente that I just purchased a few months ago. Voice alerts not working. Do you still stay in touch with your buddy that repaired your module? I'd appreciate any help, I cant find a shop around here that does that type of small vintage electronic work.
thanks
Jason
Old April 11th, 2022, 04:25 PM

Hello! Sorry for the delayed response! I haven't been on here in a while and had to create a new account I've installed the voice alert module on both of my Toronados. In both cases the modules were DOA. Both required the same repairs consisting of replacing the transformer and replacing two black capacitors adjoining the transformer. I can take a picture to point out the usual failure points.
Where are you located? I anticipate that an electronics shop that services video game equipment or older car radios should be able to replace the parts without too much difficulty.
Old April 13th, 2022, 10:53 AM

Hi Andrew
i hit "quick reply" but dont think that posted my response. Anyhow - thanks SO MUCH for answering me back. I live in Lakewood, OH (west side of Cleveland). I have already spoke to a few auto electronic/electric repair places as well as vintage radio shop. None were interested in taking a look. I will keep looking for a vintage electronic shop. I think once I am able to get them some pictures/detail about the repair they might be more willing. I have an 85 toro - so its the last year of the 79 - 85 generation. I think you said you had 2 toros - so if you have any pics of the location of my generations module that would be great. I have a set of '85 chassis and electrical manuals, and it says the module is up behind the ashtray in the dash. Are you able to take a pic where you are pointing to its location? Do I need to pull out any of the dash to access it? Also if you pics of the module itself (maybe you took some when you took it in to get repaired) that would help as well. I am most appreciative of your input!!! I also need to see about changing light bulbs for the gear selection indicator (right under the digital gauge cluster) and the lighting for the tempmatic A/C controls - they both seem burnt out.
thanks again
Jason
Old April 13th, 2022, 11:52 AM

Hi Jason! The module is located just under the ashtray. You do not have to remove the dash. Just remove the driver's side under dash hush panel via the 2 7mm screws and the nut by the gas pedal. The hush panel also has a spring clip that attaches to the steering collum. Once you remove the 2 screws and the nut, pull the panel down to release the clip.
Once the hush panel is out, look under the dash near the ashtray. The module is attached to a bracket, the bracket is attached to the dash carrier with 2 7mm screws. Remove those two screws and remove the module with the bracket. The module is silver in color and is about 4 x 3 x 1.5 inches. The plug has about 18 wires and is strawberry in color. There is a release tab to press to remove the plug. The plug will probably have a tight fit.
The removal of the module should be easy. No more than 15 minutes.
Are your sure your car has the voice alert option? The way to tell for sure is to check the options code sticker on the trunk lid. UV1 is the code for voice alert. Y67 is the standard non talking chime module. (Which is a black plastic box that uses the same plug and location)
I'll post pictures of the module later tonight.
Old April 13th, 2022, 05:08 PM

Both of mine have failed the same way. The two black capacitors and the transformer.

The UV1 voice alert is the silver module. The standard Y67 chime module is the black module. The bracket has holes for both modules and the plug is the same. Thus voice alert can be added to a standard chime module car. Note if your car has the Bose system, you will need to add a speaker under the left front radio grill. The harness for the speaker is already there.

Location of the voice alert module with the steering column vent removed. Just a pic for reference. Access is gained from underneath with the plastic hush panel removed.
Old April 13th, 2022, 05:29 PM

The gear shift bulbs are an odd part number, but you might be able to find them. I don't know the number off the top of my head. Replacing them is a pain in the butt , as it requires removing the cluster enough to twist the bulbs out. You might be able to twist the bulbs out with needing to disconnect the speedometer cable and cluster harness.

​​​​​​Make sure to unclip the gear indicator cable at the column. Be careful not to break the tab off the plastic indicator needle.

The ac control bulb should be easier to both find and replace. Pull the bezel, remove the AC control screws pull the unit forward and twist the bulb out.

The trick to removing the bezel is to move the gearshift to low 1 and tilt the steering wheel all the way down. Of course make sure to block the wheels. Don't rely on the parking brake, plus you need to pull the parking brake release to access one of the bezel screws. Safety first!

Old April 15th, 2022, 06:20 PM

Hi Andrew
I cant thank you enough for the time you put into explaining the process of getting to and removing the module! and taking the pics and indicating the transformers and trouble spots. I cant thank you enough. Thats the beauty of these forums. I dont think i would have EVER found anyone to help me with this! I came to visit my parents for Easter weekend and then I am going to chicago next week for work, so hopefully I will have time the weekend of the 23rd to get in under the dash. This is my project car - i have it in storage. Luckily its in really good shape, so not too many projects - just these small little gremlins if you know what I mean! Yes it definitely has the UV1 option. Its on the truck lid option code sticker. Still amazes me how "a la carte" these cars were optioned back then. No I dont have the bose sound system - wish I did then. Its nicely optioned for a caliente model, and body and cosmetics are really really good. Leather inside is nearly perfect. Also has the factory moonroof option which works perfectly! I will keep you posted! I thought maybe it had the auto dimming rear view mirror, there is a funny plug hanging down at the seam of the windshield/headliner, but the existing rear view mirror is just plain/manual. Anyhow thanks again for all your help!
Old April 17th, 2022, 08:54 AM

I'm happy to help! I've learned a couple things about these very unique cars in my 9 years of ownership. :-) Toronados of this vintage are a lot like snowflakes, no two are identical. I don't think I've ever seen two with the same options mix and color. For example, even though the voice alert was a no cost option on the Caliente, very few have the feature. Another rare find is the memory seat option.

The auto dimming mirror option code is DD8. It's certainly possible that yours had the option, but maybe the mirror has been replaced. Neither of my Toronados had the auto mirror, but I've added it on both with parts sourced from junk yard cars. You might be able to find a replacement automatic mirror online. The auto mirror was more common on the Seville and Eldorado.

What color combo is your car? I'd love to see pictures of the car and or pictures of the option code sticker.