WTB B85 window moulding NOS

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2017, 05:28 PM

WTB B85 window moulding NOS

Looking to buy some B85 window moulding for a 70 442 post couple. Leads are appreciated also. Window sweep fuzzies.
Thanks,
EASyD

Last edited by easyd; January 29th, 2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old January 29th, 2017, 05:46 PM

That is likely to be among some of the hardest parts to find NOS. I would recommend calling Ron Memmer "Ron's Classic Cutlass" for something like that. Not sure he is even going to have it.
Old January 29th, 2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That is likely to be among some of the hardest parts to find NOS. I would recommend calling Ron Memmer "Ron's Classic Cutlass" for something like that. Not sure he is even going to have it.
Thanks Eric. I know it's gonna be hard to find. Cars painted and interior is ready to go in. Trying to wrap up the project.
Old January 29th, 2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by easyd
Thanks Eric. I know it's gonna be hard to find. Cars painted and interior is ready to go in. Trying to wrap up the project.
Do you have the old ones? You can have them redone if they are not bent. There are some shops that can still do clear anodizing.
Old January 30th, 2017, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Do you have the old ones? You can have them redone if they are not bent. There are some shops that can still do clear anodizing.
I have them but one of them has a crack/split in it.
Old January 30th, 2017, 05:08 AM

They are aluminum and are clear anodized. Have them cleaned and polished and cleared or reanodized. I have owned over 70 Oldsmobiles and have had one set.

They are very hard to find I bet someone can even fix the one that is split
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
They are aluminum and are clear anodized. Have them cleaned and polished and cleared or reanodized. I have owned over 70 Oldsmobiles and have had one set.

They are very hard to find I bet someone can even fix the one that is split
Thanks. I am hoping someone will pull some out of their inventory and sell them to me. The restoration is using mostly NOS items and would be befitting of them. Can't wait for you guys to see it. Nderise has seen pictures. Getting close to the end now.
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:56 PM

Ttt
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:18 PM

You may or not be aware, these pieces are exceedingly difficult to find. A really good trim shop can repair,reform,polish and retreat the metal to new condition. Likely at a small fraction of what a schooled person would sell for.. I believe that even the most discerning restoration individuals would opt for this route. Just my humble .02 though.
Old March 27th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by easyd
I have them but one of them has a crack/split in it.
One of the door lower trim/door ledge moldings?.....right at the vent window "cutout"??

You are going to find that much of the NOS stuff will have wear and tear and may need refinishing as well (I know).

Contact McNichols Plating in Michigan and discuss getting yours redone....they offer the original "bright dip" anodizing process. Many places can anodize but you need someone that has this process to get the real/original look. Any cracks/tears can be TIG welded....but you may end up with a "heat line" area....the trim folks would be able to tell you what to expect.

If your other pieces are fine just find a nice used replacement and have it all refinished at the same time.

By all means...continue looking as NOS would be real nice but those are some thoughts I have from personal experience with those moldings. If you find NOS JUST MAKE SURE you get a REAL GOOD description from SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT TO LOOK FOR on these (that can be a challenge). Ron Memmer is pretty capable of giving an ACCURATE description.

Last edited by 70Post; March 27th, 2017 at 07:35 PM.