Wanted: 1977 Omega Heat/AC controls

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2016, 01:44 PM

Wanted: 1977 Omega Heat/AC controls

Looking to buy a replacement set of control levers for the heater on my Omega. It's a 3 lever set with on-off, hot-cold and defrost on-off.

The on-off lever snapped off when I was turning it on a couple days ago, so it's currently locked into the on position, defrost lever has been broken since before I had the car. (Picture is from before the break)
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Oldsdruid

You're not limited to Omega. Any X-body (Omega, Nova, Ventura/Phoenix, Apollo/Skylark) should have it. Your problem will be finding a heater-only control as most had A/C by then.

Make sure your engine ground straps are in place and connected. You'll find them at rear of engine going to firewall. I think what may have happened is the strap is loose or missing and the engine electrical tried to ground itself thru the heater control cables, causing them to either stick or seize up. Then when you try to move them, bam. Broke.

I've seen this a couple times on 1st gen Camaros which use a similar heater control, and also on cable operated floor shifter cars that EE tries to establish ground path thru the shifter cable.
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:41 PM

That's a distinct possibility, as I've got some known electrical problems with the car. Something's shorted somewhere. as I cannot put a fuse in for the dome light/lighter without it blowing instantly. Only that one fuse is effected though so I've just left that alone for the last 8 months.