radio

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2014, 07:29 PM

radio

need good working early 60s 88 98 fm radio.thanks much
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Did they even have FM radios in the early 60's?
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:55 PM

In looking through Olds brochures from that era, Olds didn't offer any kind of FM radio until 1963. Even then, though, I would have to assume that it was a rarely-purchased option at least until the late '60s as many FM stations back in the early part of that decade did nothing more than broadcast what their AM sister stations were broadcasting. My father purchased '64, '67, '71, and '73 Oldsmobiles as I was growing up, and it wasn't until the '73 that he got anything other than an AM radio.

I think you'll be lucky to find any FM radio from the first half of the 1960s, let alone a good working one. But you never know. Might cost a small fortune if you do. Good luck.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:51 AM

You have a good selection available.

Olds full size radios pretty much interchange '61-'70. The physical size, shaft spacing, and mounting points on the case are the same for all. The ***** all interchange. Wire connections are mostly the same, and use the same coding. IIRC the connectors also interchange between all mono's. There is no external difference between FM and FM Signal Seek, unless you have a floor switch to trigger the seek.

If you are putting a stereo version into a non stereo car, you will have to fudge the speaker wiring. Biggest thing to watch for is if the speakers have 1 wire or 2 wires going to each of them.You will have to wire your car speakers to match the radio schematic, which may mean running individual grounds for them.

There are two types of faders, the 3-prong accessory switch and the built-in switch. For the 3-prong, almost all radios were wired to accept the switch, but you didn't get one unless you ordered a rear speaker. All GM brands 3-prongs swap, but the **** will be different (they are not removable). They were a common dealer installed item, and the switches/kits show up on the bay often. The kit consists of a speaker, maybe a cover, a wiring harness to the radio, and the fader switch.

All ***** for the built-ins will interchange, if you didn't order a rear speaker, a dummy **** was provided that will not move the fader, otherwise a **** with a tang for the switch was installed and all is right with the world.

A-body radios will not fit a full size cars, the sizes are different, but most a-bodies interchange '64-73, with the same guidelines as above.

You can also check other GM's. I believe that Buick and Pontiac used similar radios, of course the name will be wrong. Chev and Cadillac usually had unique dash designs and were different configurations.

I just sold a '64 AM/FM on the bay, and I will be listing others soon.

Good luck on your search.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:02 PM

I have a couple of wonderbars, I think. I could try to dig one out the next time I get up there to the house they're in. I think they all have some sort of issue, so you may want one better from someone else.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Also, the main problem with interchange of the big body to A body Olds radios of that vintage is heatsink location. Big radios have them on the side, A bodies are on the back, if I recall correctly.
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM

If you have an am radio you can have it updated to AM/FM MP3. I had an original AM and had it updated. It looks original and except for internal parts everything is original. To do just an FM update is @ 100.00 the full pack update runs @ 300.00. It has been worth it. A company in Blaine MN does it and the turn around is 3-6 weeks.
If interested PM and I will send you contact info
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rodbob
need good working early 60s 88 98 fm radio.thanks much
I have a strong playing 1966 Olds Mono AM-FM.Some rust on bottom cover and decent chrome on radio face.good driver quality.$100.00 + $22.00 Priority Mail.I accept PayPal or MO.I also have several 67 thru 70 Big Car with and w/o w/bar.Tks Bill
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:49 AM

Sent pm.