Looking for Black Carpet - 1972 Cutlass S, Console Car

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2014, 05:58 AM

Looking for Black Carpet - 1972 Cutlass S, Console Car

I've removed my console to do some repairs, and I've decided the carpet doesn't look very nice anymore.

Anyone have one they bought and didn't use, or even a nice used one? I just don't like going to restoration places for stuff unless I absolutely have to. Too many issues.

Even thought of having one made myself, but that'll probably come out to about the same as Fusick/Year One.
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If the carpet is just badly faded have you considered just spray dying it back to a crisp black? Duplicolor makes a really good vinyl/cloth spray dye. I used it in my original carpet and it looks fantastic! If you have a lot of wear on it, better to replace. Lots of preformed molded carpets on the market.
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by jpc647
I just don't like going to restoration places for stuff unless I absolutely have to. Too many issues.
I'm curious as to what the "issues" are. I have purchased and installed carpeting in three different old Oldsmobiles over the years (a '64, a '73, and a '75), and I had no trouble in any of the situations. Ordered the carpet and pad, installed it, and off we go. In all cases, it fit fine and looked great.

Most recently (in 2010) I bought the carpet from this source.

http://www.varkmotors.com/

The carpet was for my '73 Custom Cruiser, a station wagon and not a car they make carpet for regularly. I spoke with the guy on the phone, and I had no problems. It fit like a glove.

Here's a photo of the carpet just after installation along with the newly reupholstered front seat.

Old October 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
If the carpet is just badly faded have you considered just spray dying it back to a crisp black? Duplicolor makes a really good vinyl/cloth spray dye. I used it in my original carpet and it looks fantastic! If you have a lot of wear on it, better to replace. Lots of preformed molded carpets on the market.
I thought about it, and then as I looked closer, it's really seen better days. There a coupe of small tears, and a couple worn spots.

It's drown, and dying it would probably make it look better, but it's still torn in a couple of places. It's clearly been out of the car before, it wasn't really secured properly like under the sill plates and so forth, and it barely goes up to the back seats.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I'm curious as to what the "issues" are. I have purchased and installed carpeting in three different old Oldsmobiles over the years (a '64, a '73, and a '75), and I had no trouble in any of the situations. Ordered the carpet and pad, installed it, and off we go. In all cases, it fit fine and looked great.

Most recently (in 2010) I bought the carpet from this source.

http://www.varkmotors.com/

The carpet was for my '73 Custom Cruiser, a station wagon and not a car they make carpet for regularly. I spoke with the guy on the phone, and I had no problems. It fit like a glove.

Here's a photo of the carpet just after installation along with the newly reupholstered front seat.
Thanks for the link. The issues weren't with carpets, but other parts. I bought some echucheon bezels from The Parts Place and they sent the wrong ones, and it took almost 3 weeks for them to send me the correct pieces.
Fusick, I think they just double charged the order, and I had to talk to 3 different people before they'd acknowledge the mistake, just left a bad taste in my mouth.

So I've just always bought from either RockAuto because their customer server is Top Notch, or from local auto parts places. But thank you for the link, they are a little cheaper than the other guys.