Exterior trim 71 442

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Exterior trim 71 442

Thanks for everyones help and information in the past locating needed parts. Now I need the rear exterior quarter window belt revels for 71 442. Their aluminum about 3/4+ wide. This is a model 87. Also, who is a supplier for the weatherstrip for this? Steele didn't have it but are going to research it for me. Any experience out there? Y/O-PP-OPG has
nothing.

AL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
QT Trim Alum B85.jpg (48.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Al Graaf; September 20th, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
Thanks for everyones help and information in the past locating needed parts. Now I need the rear exterior quarter window belt revels for 71 442. Their aluminum about 3/4+ wide. This is a model 87. Also, who is a supplier for the weatherstrip for this? Steele didn't have it but are going to research it for me. Any experience out there? Y/O-PP-OPG has nothing. AL
Al, are you talking about the B85 belt molding that goes on the outside of the quarter panel and doors? I think I know what you're talking about, but not 100% sure we're on the same page. Does it look like the ones in this photo? It's very hard to find and I'm not exactly sure how it attaches to exisiting weatherstripping. Took me almost 3 years of searching to find a complete set. Needs a lot of work to look like new again. As far as finding the right weatherstripping for it, I would suggest talking to Patton Glade (70Post). He knows a lot about this stuff. I had planned to put it on my car but am not sure I will now. Does your car have any special holes drilled into the ledge where this stuff sits, or does it just attach to the outside whisker channels?

Attached Images
IMG_1681.jpg (22.4 KB, 15 views)
IMG_1680.jpg (42.7 KB, 74 views)
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
Allan- Great pictures. Have had this car since new and that is the exact color and vinyl top That's the parts. I have talked to Patton quite a bit. Haven't met but a great guy. Helps with all kinds of info. Mine are surface scratched and Patton suggested to use EasyOff oven cleaner to remove the anodize so they can be sanded and buffed. Kind of scared to try-afraid I might make things worse as I don't have previous experience with this method.The weather strip attaches with bend over tabs. Yes there are holes drilled. This is special as well and trying to locate it. Steele Products sent wrong stuff. They are to research. Would like to have if your not going to use. Thanks again forgetting with me.
AL-Lexington, KY
I need a new can of Easy off for some of the cleaning I'm going to do on my inner liners and air dam. I'll try it on these and see what happens. For the sanding I'll start with 400 W/D and progress down to 600 or so. It's on my 'might as well' list of things to do. Do you have any pics of the area where the holes are drilled on the ledge? I would like to see where this is done. If you have the reveal moldings off can you please take a pic and post it?
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:55 PM

Guys--I will do some checking on the weatherstrips/sweepers. All the talking and emailing got me thinking and recalling. One of the Dallas guys went through the "finding the B85-compatible sweepers" deal a bit over a year ago for his '70 W30 with this option. I will make some calls and do some digging through my notes and see who he ended up dealing with. I think he went through a place in Dallas that dealt with the manufacturer of the stuff (manufacturer was in Arkansas I believe....maybe Repops or REM..can't remember which).

I believe he went through a couple sets before the place (in Arkansas) finally got it right. Bear with me and I'll do some calling around. I'll need the stuff as well at some point for one car as well so probably ought to strike while the iron is hot and get the stuff in hand.

I may also call Fusick and see what they have.

Thanks

Last edited by 70Post; September 19th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Went through the exact thing back in 1989 on a 70 - at the time I went through Fusick and they told me to modify the ones they were selling. Came out
OK for not knowing what the Hell I was doing, but you could tell it was'nt right. Cool that someone is now making them for such a rare option.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70Post
Guys--I will do some checking on the weatherstrips/sweepers.Thanks
Thanks Patton, I'd be really interested in getting the right stuff to complete these. Any other info you might have to make the install go easier would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find any reference to them in the Fisher Body manual. Did I miss it somewhere?
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:17 AM

I think Fusick is now selling the correct ones for the B85 option.I know I saw this somewhere,as I have a few cars with that option as well.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM

I test fit the Fusick parts for the B85 option.

They do not work.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM

I was afraid of that.....I think the guy in Dallas also mentioned they had tried Fusick's offering and it didn't work. I remember he had to go through a bunch of gyrations to finally find a set that was acceptable.

I'll call him.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

From the catalogue

Originally Posted by 70Post
I may also call Fusick and see what they have. Thanks
Patton,
After I read Brians post I went to their newest catalogue and found this as a reference

CK70HR 1970-72 Cutlass/ 442 Holiday Coupe with B85 reveal molding 123.00

Now I don't know if this includes the B85 molding or not. If you're talking with them can you ask if the kit is just for the rubber pieces or for everything?

They also have a kit for the B85 on the Supreme models, but I'm not interested in that. Besides, only the front parts would fit.

thx
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Allan - I'll be calling Fusick tomorrow (Wednesday) to discuss their offerings and see what they say about the wrong fit that "My442" mentioned.

As I mentioned earlier...I seem to recall the guy in Dallas saying they had tried Fusick's trim as well and that it "wasn't right". I'd like to find out what exactly he meant by that...called the guy today and he's supposed to call me back.

Will post on this thread or the other one that "Shimmer" started in this section.

Last edited by 70Post; September 20th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Patton,
Would be great if you could post it here, I don't know which other thread you are referring to. Appreciate your legwork and time doing all this fact gathering.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Patton,
Would be great if you could post it here, I don't know which other thread you are referring to. Appreciate your legwork and time doing all this fact gathering.

This thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...strip-b85.html

Anyway, I ordered a set from Steele today but it will be 2-3 weeks before they get here. Hope the darn things are correct/fit right but I'll believe it when I see it. Going to keep trying to find out what happened with Re-Pops....may have gone under.