Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 Cutlass Restoration Markings

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM

1972 Cutlass Restoration Markings

This is for a 72 Cutlass: Does anybody know of a reference or whatever for the markings of components from the factory. I have not been able to find where all these guys find the colors and codes for the suspension, brakes etc. I do have the assembly manual and other references but what are the colors and the rest. Also is there a someone who sells the stamps to replicate coolant hose markings etc. I do know Inline Tubing has certain stamps but have not found the ones for the other areas.

Any info would help
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM

Hmmm... I am not sure how you might find that information. You might want to contact an Oldsmobile club in your area. They are generally really helpful.

http://www.oldsclub.org/
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM

I am really surprised that with all of the knowledge and experience in this forum that nobody has ever put together a reference for this topic.
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM

marks

I also have asked about marks for a 68 with no answers. I do have a "C" on the firewall in the attached photo. This car has never been repainted or apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442 015_1.jpg (84.0 KB, 29 views)
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Generally the cars had very few crayon or paint marks on them. They were not like Christmas trees the way Mopar guys "restore" their cars. Many parts were unpainted and when the oil from the mfg. process wore off, they rusted, often on the showroom floor. The rest of the stuff underneath was semi-flat to semi-gloss black and bolts were dark phosphated. Some years had "black-out" sprayed rather haphazardly underneath but not on the engine, trans, or driveshaft. This was an asphalt based slime in between paint, sludge, and undercoating. By now it would be "solid" but easily removed (but very messily) with gasoline. It is disgusting beyond belief to work around and virtually no one "restores" a GM with it.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM

My 72' is marked by the Driver door between the henges (ie w-30), and on the finder bolt at the firewall on Driver side "w-30". The plate on the firewall will have most of your info for the car. Year One's catalog has a good breakdown and how to read it.
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM

The inspection marks were not a science. Some were marked one way, and some were marked another. They were done by humans, not robots. Absolutely nobody is going to tell you that your marks are, or are not, correct. If you want everyone who scrutinizes your car to ask what each and every mark means, then have a ball. Throw a few random chalk and paint marks on there are tell people whatever story you want about what they mean.

Look at it this way, not everyone on the assembly line did everything "by the book". Assembly line work was a job, and how many jobs do you know that get done "by the book" all day every day?

Once everything else on your car is perfect, then think about messing it up with inspection marks.