Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Buyers, just an FYI on costof Flat Rate Box

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Smile Buyers, just an FYI on costof Flat Rate Box

This is just an FYI on what to expect when shipping by Flat Rate box, which just increased BTW......
It has always been a fairly reasonable method Domestic, but look what happens going to Canada ..................... GEEeezzzz !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
USPO 2013 Flat Rate BOX.jpg (72.3 KB, 92 views)
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Administrator

The only time the flat rate box is a good deal is when something that fits in the box is really heavy. Or mailing a care pkg to a military member overseas.
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM

It is hard to make a good comparison, in that it's a pain to check normal postage, Flat Rate, and UPS Brown truck. I always thought the FR box was pretty good.
Does anyone have a general recommendation as to what method is usually the cheapest ? I'm all ears !!
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Most anything that won't fit in a flat rate box (or require LTL) is cheapest to ship via FEDEX, if - you have an account with them, and drop off at a FEDEX or FEDEX/Kinkos location. It is VERY easy to open an account with them if you have a CC, takes about 5 min. And just like USPS, you can print labels at home and just drop the item off, very slick. I use them all the time.
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM
72 Olds CS

X2 between FEDEX USPS and UPS FEDEX is almost always cheaper for the same size weight package

Plus their ship price includes tracking and $100 insurance. Unlike USPS that charges extra for tho
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM

if you ship priority mail try the "regional A" or "regional B" boxes. they are usually cheaper than parcel and they will send you the boxes for free.
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
X2 between FEDEX USPS and UPS FEDEX is almost always cheaper for the same size weight package

Plus their ship price includes tracking and $100 insurance. Unlike USPS that charges extra for tho
FEDEX will insure your package for whatever value you declare when creating the shipping label. It is built in to the price you pay to ship it.
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:14 AM
JC

FedEx is the cheapest. But beware- i used them all the time to ship vintage guitars , always bought insurance for amount of guitar. But when the time came to collect on a damage guitar, the weaseled their way out of it by claiming they don't cover vintage items. This was about 6 years ago. They sold me insurance dozens of times on vintage guitars, but they never told me once about this disclaimer. So please check first. And not with the folks at the counter where you drop it off, they don't know squat. They were the ones that misinformed me. Gotta call their corporate claims office.
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Ouch, bummer. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Lots of good stuff and cautions here. I do ship alot, mostly business, but being a Ludite I still fill out the Pre-Printed Fed Ex forms,........ I think I hear Laughing ???? Anyhow, these parts are hard to value, and I would probably just use the purchase price as a value........... but,.. they "ain't mak'in them anymore" ;-O
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger

Some clarifications.

Whether or not they charge more than Fedex, UPS's base rate also includes tracking and $100 of insurance.

USPS now automatically includes tracking with every package. $100 of insurance through them costs all of $2.45.
Old February 12th, 2013, 03:57 PM

OK guys, just wasted alot of time at FED EX............ the Int'l forms are a pain, and the cost for a box I took to UPS Brown was quoted at $33.60, then same box was $126 !!!! at FED EX Economy to Canada! Crazy!
I guess I'll just stop selling to Canada, no one is going to believe those shipping charges. Now I have to ask the guy if he will go with $33.60, and feel like an idiot.

The 1st thing everyone asks is "how much will it cost to ship to ........? Why don't the buyers use their own resourse to figure that out? Sorry, ranting, wasted 1/2 day finding boxes, packing boxes, and driving all around, it would be easier just to pitch the stuff.
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:10 PM

"The 1st thing everyone asks is "how much will it cost to ship to ........? "

My epay ads ended up stating that BUYERS can take my zip and theirs and reasonable size ans weight numbers to e.g. ups.com for a shipping ESTIMATE. I do not have time to look up shipping for all POSSIBLE buyers; I will do it for one ACTUAL buyer. PS I sent 'em to ups.com because I could ALWAYS beat that with usps or fedex.

I had someone complain that shipping cost more than the item.

Duh

They are unrelated things.

If you buy a Bridgeport Mill from Alaska for $1 the shipping will probably cost more than the item. If you buy a diamond ring from your neighbor for $10k, the shipping will probably be less than the item.
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:12 PM
JC

This stufff is so true! People will drive you nuts!!

Re. Fedex. I should've read more carefully. Yes FedEx internationally Is a joke. "Forgetabouit". I use USPS in that case. I had to ship a guitar to Australia in the not too distant past. You talk about sticker shock when I had to tell the cost to the buyer!! But USPS was by far and away the cheapest. But it wasn't cheap!! A lot of times with USPS the actual size of the box is what hurts you, not the weight. I trimmed the box for the guitar way down and saved buyer a whole lot of money. But a lot of people will not take the time or hassle to do this. I remember FedEx wanted like 600 dollars to send that Gibson Les Paul to Australia.

Man , The hoops I've had to jump through to get shipping cost down for international shipping!!
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Ok, to beat this topic to death................
Just got back from the Post Office. After making out the customs form, waiting in line, I asked the nice man what the cheapest way to ship this box would be. It is 10.5lbs, 19x12x10,........ $51.95. He said they all go by Air, which is why UPS ground can be cheaper. so that's 3 drives, 3 lines, 3 customs forms, 3 prices.
To RECAP, same box:
UPS 33.60
USpo 51.95
Fed Ex 126.00 Rediculous................ I'm over it.