Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

55 Oldsmobile 98 parts car

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:14 PM

55 Oldsmobile 98 parts car

I just recently joined this site because I bought a 56 88 project car. The radiator was destroyed but I happened to find a 55 98 with everything under the hood just less than 5 miles from my house. Today he offered to sell the entire car for less than what I could buy the radiator for elsewhere so it was a no brainer.

Now I have nearly an entire car that I don't need so if anyone is looking for parts I would be happy to help if I can. I do have several parts pending already because I've also posted in other Oldsmobile groups. There is still a lot of stuff left though so if you need anything just ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2314.JPG (3.86 MB, 64 views)
IMG_2349.jpg (3.01 MB, 72 views)
IMG_2348.jpg (2.67 MB, 68 views)
IMG_2345.JPG (4.12 MB, 68 views)
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:21 PM

55 98 parts

I just recently joined this site because I bought a 56 88 project car. The radiator was destroyed but I happened to find a 55 98 with everything under the hood just less than 5 miles from my house. Today he offered to sell the entire car for less than what I could buy the radiator for elsewhere so it was a no brainer.

Now I have nearly an entire car that I don't need so if anyone is looking for parts I would be happy to help if I can. I do have several parts pending already because I've also posted in other Oldsmobile groups. There is still a lot of stuff left though so if you need anything just ask.
Attached Images
IMG_2314.JPG (3.86 MB, 49 views)
IMG_2349.jpg (3.01 MB, 40 views)
IMG_2348.jpg (2.67 MB, 33 views)
IMG_2345.JPG (4.12 MB, 49 views)
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't need the radiator but if you have an extra fan shroud I could use it.

Thanks
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I don't need the radiator but if you have an extra fan shroud I could use it.

Thanks
Sorry this wasn't equipped with A/C so didn't have the shroud.
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I didn't see the scoops on top of the rear quarter panels so I thought that was probably the case. Thanks for the quick response. Good luck on your car.
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:00 PM

Thank you. If I run across one I'll be sure to let you know. I've found another 56 near by but I haven't seen it yet so with a little luck I'll be in contact.
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:44 AM

If the wheels are original, undamaged, not seriously rusted, and reasonably priced, I "might" be interested. Here's what the correct wheel looks like:

They will likely be 15x5.5, but 15x6 would be O.K. also.
Thanks.
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:38 PM

There are only 3 of the originals and they vary on their condition. Here's pics of all 4.

Old June 21st, 2017, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by rusted metal
There are only 3 of the originals and they vary on their condition. Here's pics of all 4.

Thanks for doing the photos. They help a lot. Your first & last photos show a non-original wheel. #2 & #3 photos appear to possibly be original, but I'm a bit concerned about the level of corrosion. It's difficult to tell in the photos how severe it is. Was there a spare in the trunk or inside the car?
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:35 AM

Oops you're right the first one is different. No sorry no extras are in the car. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. Do you want anymore pictures of the two originals or want me to try and clean them up a bit?
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:22 PM

Oops you're right the first one is different. No sorry no extras are in the car. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. Do you want anymore pictures of the two originals or want me to try and clean them up a bit?
Your photos helped quite a bit. #2 and #3 appear to be original, but I remain concerned about their condition. #2 appears to have significant rust on the right portion (just inside the shadow) and #3 appears to have something similar at the top. I can't tell how severe it is. And of course, it's impossible for me to be able to evaluate the inside or the back. As you can see from my photo, I'm trying to match a near perfect original wheel, which I'm sure I won't be able to do. But I'd like to get reasonably close.
For now, let me say that I could be interested in #2 and #3, but there remains too much unknown. After you have gotten into dismantling the car, if you remove the #2 and #3 wheels and they prove to be reasonably nice all over, please let me know. I would still be interested in getting two "nice" examples at reasonable cost. Thanks for all your efforts to promote our hobby.

Ozzie
Old June 30th, 2017, 07:46 PM

55 partts

sent you a PM
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:09 PM

Ozzie are the 54's the same as the 55's?

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Your photos helped quite a bit. #2 and #3 appear to be original, but I remain concerned about their condition. #2 appears to have significant rust on the right portion (just inside the shadow) and #3 appears to have something similar at the top. I can't tell how severe it is. And of course, it's impossible for me to be able to evaluate the inside or the back. As you can see from my photo, I'm trying to match a near perfect original wheel, which I'm sure I won't be able to do. But I'd like to get reasonably close.
For now, let me say that I could be interested in #2 and #3, but there remains too much unknown. After you have gotten into dismantling the car, if you remove the #2 and #3 wheels and they prove to be reasonably nice all over, please let me know. I would still be interested in getting two "nice" examples at reasonable cost. Thanks for all your efforts to promote our hobby.

Ozzie
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:17 AM

Ozzie are the 54's the same as the 55's?

I've wondered the same myself for years. The Olds parts book shows the same part number for both '54 & '55 (567705). However it also shows a "heavy duty" version for both years (part number 563976). Both wheels are shown as 15" x 5.5" in dimensions. The Hollander manual shows that '54 & '55 will "interchange", but does not say if they are "identical". I once looked at the wheels on a '54 in a salvage yard. They looked different from the photo I supplied (but I have no way to know if they were original to that car). The photo is of one that came with my '55 from the Lansing plant in (late) 1955. I was just a little kid at the time, but I know that wheel came with the '55 as "original". Unfortunately I don't have any wheel manufacturers' catalogs from the mid 1950s.
Old July 8th, 2017, 04:04 PM

I've wondered the same myself for years. The Olds parts book shows the same part number for both '54 & '55 (567705). However it also shows a "heavy duty" version for both years (part number 563976). Both wheels are shown as 15" x 5.5" in dimensions. The Hollander manual shows that '54 & '55 will "interchange", but does not say if they are "identical". I once looked at the wheels on a '54 in a salvage yard. They looked different from the photo I supplied (but I have no way to know if they were original to that car). The photo is of one that came with my '55 from the Lansing plant in (late) 1955. I was just a little kid at the time, but I know that wheel came with the '55 as "original". Unfortunately I don't have any wheel manufacturers' catalogs from the mid 1950s.
Where on the rim is the part number located? If we can check those and they match up then we should be ok I would think. They look identical to me.
Old July 9th, 2017, 05:57 AM

Where on the rim is the part number located? If we can check those and they match up then we should be ok I would think. They look identical to me.
The GM part number may not appear on the wheel. Wheel manufacture can often be done by a wheel contractor who uses his number designations to identify the wheel. The GM part number may only be used to inventory the wheel in the GM system. I've never seen those part numbers on my '55 Olds wheel. I got them from the Olds parts book. I recently "went through" this situation on a Ford truck. The wheel had been manufactured by Budd and the Ford part number didn't appear on the wheel.
Old July 26th, 2017, 10:37 AM

The GM part number may not appear on the wheel. Wheel manufacture can often be done by a wheel contractor who uses his number designations to identify the wheel. The GM part number may only be used to inventory the wheel in the GM system. I've never seen those part numbers on my '55 Olds wheel. I got them from the Olds parts book. I recently "went through" this situation on a Ford truck. The wheel had been manufactured by Budd and the Ford part number didn't appear on the wheel.
Hi Ozzie, I got the wheels off and here's a couple pics. I still need to break the bead on one tire and remove it but hope these pics are good enough for what you need. If you need more let me know and I'll get the other tire off to get more pics. Looks like they should both clean up nicely though.

Cheers

Old July 26th, 2017, 10:40 AM

Also let me know if you're interested and I'll get you another one or two from the 54. It appears there's even a spare in the 54... I just have to get the trunk open some how haha
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:51 AM

Also let me know if you're interested and I'll get you another one or two from the 54. It appears there's even a spare in the 54... I just have to get the trunk open some how haha
Thanks for making the photos. They are a big help. The ones without the tires look O.K. After you get the tire(s) off it will be easier to evaluate the wheel(s). I would probably be interested in the ones that look like they will clean up well. The '54 "might" also be O.K. if it matches the photo I provided. If you don't have the key for the trunk on the '54, you can get it open (without damaging the lid) by crawling in from the back seat (as long as it's not an A/C car). Thanks again.
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Thanks for making the photos. They are a big help. The ones without the tires look O.K. After you get the tire(s) off it will be easier to evaluate the wheel(s). I would probably be interested in the ones that look like they will clean up well. The '54 "might" also be O.K. if it matches the photo I provided. If you don't have the key for the trunk on the '54, you can get it open (without damaging the lid) by crawling in from the back seat (as long as it's not an A/C car). Thanks again.
Yea it's been way too hot to get out there and climb through the trunk. Today however was more tolerable at around 90 so I got it out and it looks really nice. The back was a little dirty so I rubbed around the edge for your consideration.

Old July 28th, 2017, 01:26 PM

Yea it's been way too hot to get out there and climb through the trunk. Today however was more tolerable at around 90 so I got it out and it looks really nice. The back was a little dirty so I rubbed around the edge for your consideration.

Yes, I know about that oppressive weather. I've been having around 95F with high humidity.
Again, thanks for the photos. That one from the '54 appears to be in nice condition, but there also looks to be a subtle difference in the wheel. Look at the front portion of the rim part of the wheel immediately adjacent to the valve. It looks different from the '55's wheel in the photos. ???????
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Yes, I know about that oppressive weather. I've been having around 95F with high humidity.
Again, thanks for the photos. That one from the '54 appears to be in nice condition, but there also looks to be a subtle difference in the wheel. Look at the front portion of the rim part of the wheel immediately adjacent to the valve. It looks different from the '55's wheel in the photos. ???????
Ah yes you're right... I see it.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:45 AM

Ah yes you're right... I see it.
Ozzie that leaves us at possibly two total. I'll get the other tire off right away. Do you have a price in mind on these?
Old July 30th, 2017, 03:50 PM

Ozzie that leaves us at possibly two total. I'll get the other tire off right away. Do you have a price in mind on these?
Two are O.K. as long as they will clean up well and look nice after painting. I didn't have any particular price in mind. When I bought that wheel for the '76 F-250, the salvage yard guy in Nebraska charged me $25 + shipping. It was a really nice wheel considering that it was over 40 years old. There was no significant cleaning required; just put on the paint. Right now there is a fellow on eBay selling two supposedly '55 Olds wheels for $50 each including shipping from Minnesota.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-OLDSMOB...JZc3i3&vxp=mtr

The problem there is that they don't match my original wheel.

If my current circumstance were a bit different, I'd drive over and deal with you in person since we're not so far apart (500 +/- miles to Russellville). You should investigate the cost for shipping. The zip code for my residence is 70123. The distance and weight should determine the cost. Ask the carrier about the shipping requirements. The fellow in Nebraska used a cardboard box, but it might not be required. If they'll ship a "bare" wheel it's O.K. with me. Most major carriers operate here: USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:00 PM

I know someone that is looking for a '55 headlight switch without autronic eye. let me know if you still have one. Larry
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:34 AM

55 Olds parts

Do you have a 4 barrel intake manifold and carb for the '55?
If so, email me at mpurton@comcast.net
Thanks, Mike
Old September 24th, 2017, 02:53 PM

ill take the gas door trim/.