Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

True Slap automatic shifter conversions available

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2023, 06:18 PM

I don't understand the desire for this on a Dual Gate as those already have positive stops for shifting both up and down.
Old January 12th, 2023, 07:47 PM
72Cutlass S

I have his three speed plate and it works great.
Old January 12th, 2023, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I don't understand the desire for this on a Dual Gate as those already have positive stops for shifting both up and down.
Agreed. The request in the past was for a 4 speed function.
Old January 13th, 2023, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The Dual Gate does not have a good positive stop design. It is more of a detent design but nowhere in the league of a true positive stop. Maybe it's a little worn but in Dual-Gate mode, even when new, it can easily jump gears and it's happened to me more than one. It will go from 1st to 3rd and bypass 2nd. Other times it will miss 3rd and jump into 4th.

One has to push the Dual-Gate lever to the right & forward when in the Dual-Gate mode and shifting. The spring in the shifter always wants to bring the shifter back to the left. So you have to push right and forward when shifting, otherwise you will miss gears. It is NOT a true "Positive Stop" like the one shown here or the one's they sell like B&M.I remember reading the Dual-Gate shifter for the 70-72 was sort of gimmicky and not a true positive stop like they have now.

Only thing the Dual-Gate was good for, in Dual-Gate mode, was to prevent an overshift into Reverse BUT if you have an overdrive (2004R) trans like I do, it can jump into neutral on the Dual-Gate side.

That's why having a "True Slap" with a true "Positive Stop" like the one the OP sells, would be a better design than the OEM Dual-Gate function design. Especially with a 4-speed OD version as that would work way better than the gimmicky OEM Dual-Gate.

Last edited by pettrix; January 13th, 2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old January 13th, 2023, 02:31 PM

I am not the only one who has this issue with the OEM Dual-Gate, as shown here:

Old January 14th, 2023, 12:46 PM

I have the same issue with the dual gate w/a 2004r in my son's 70 Supreme (fear of missing a gear, no solid detents etc). If it could be set up to slap shift like these non dual gates in the videos, it would be a game changer. I would even be fine if it was setup on the left side (non dual gate side). The car is in my son's garage in St. Robert, MO but I see that's a 3 hour drive from Hannibal. Anyway - definitely ready to buy this if/when it's made available.

-Joe

YA1Pb9E.jpg
Tg7loGP.jpg
Old January 14th, 2023, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by pettrix
The Dual Gate does not have a good positive stop design. It is more of a detent design but nowhere in the league of a true positive stop. Maybe it's a little worn but in Dual-Gate mode, even when new, it can easily jump gears and it's happened to me more than one. It will go from 1st to 3rd and bypass 2nd. Other times it will miss 3rd and jump into 4th.

One has to push the Dual-Gate lever to the right & forward when in the Dual-Gate mode and shifting. The spring in the shifter always wants to bring the shifter back to the left. So you have to push right and forward when shifting, otherwise you will miss gears. It is NOT a true "Positive Stop" like the one shown here or the one's they sell like B&M.I remember reading the Dual-Gate shifter for the 70-72 was sort of gimmicky and not a true positive stop like they have now.

Only thing the Dual-Gate was good for, in Dual-Gate mode, was to prevent an overshift into Reverse BUT if you have an overdrive (2004R) trans like I do, it can jump into neutral on the Dual-Gate side.

That's why having a "True Slap" with a true "Positive Stop" like the one the OP sells, would be a better design than the OEM Dual-Gate function design. Especially with a 4-speed OD version as that would work way better than the gimmicky OEM Dual-Gate.
I will disagree with you, with the note that I have the original style three speed transmission.

I agree that having a dedicated 4 speed slap shifter with positive stops would be great. But you inquired about converting the Dual Gate to a slap shifter.

If you look at the DG design you will see it does not have a detent plate as the regular shifter has.

I have driven my Cutlass with a Dual Gate shifter since I started driving in 1980 so I am very familiar with how it operates. I have always been a “spirited” driver and in the past 42 years I have never accidentally shifted past a gear. When used as designed it does the job very well. Push forward and hold right to upshift, pull backwards and hold left to downshift.

Last edited by Fun71; January 14th, 2023 at 11:14 PM.
Old March 11th, 2023, 07:09 PM

found this video on Dual gates that might be helpful: