Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Oldsmobile Jet Boat setup

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2012, 01:06 PM

Oldsmobile Jet Boat setup

Over the years I've purchased several 455's that had come out of jet boats. I found another, this one has hairline cracks in the water jacket of the block. I plan to add the engine parts to my collection but will never use the boat parts. This is a complete setup since the guy I got it from is going for a different brand of engine. I've not got it pulled apart yet to verify the condition of the boat stuff. But it was used this summer and the previous owner said the motor was tired but ran well. I know there's boat people on ROP, but don't know if we have anyone here into jet boats. So this thread is more of an interest thread. Once I take the engine apart would there be anyone here interested in the complete package of boat manifolds, timing cover, mounts, etc.?

PA211362.jpg

PA211364.jpg

PA201361.jpg

PA211365.jpg

PA211366.jpg
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM

if its still available i might be interestin the boat parts i might also need a intake manifold cheep i hope
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Randy C.

Wow! Those pictures bring back memories of my junior officer days in Long Beach, CA (1973-1974) when the Coast Guard small boat station at Reservation Point on Terminal Island had "Spectra" boats that had the Olds 455 engines in them. They used the boats in LA/LB harbor, as well as various lakes, including as far away as Lake Havasu. I recall the steady "throng-throng-throng" sound of the engine as one of those boats would idle by the cutter on which I was stationed. As I recall, the Spectra boats could reach speeds over 50mph. But, when I talked with the mechanics that worked on them, they said the 455 engines were highly tempermental and took lots of "tweaking" to make them run right. The USCG had this style/type of boat for only 4-5 years before they were replaced. But they sure looked like a pretty neat boat!

Randy C.
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by chevyman52
if its still available i might be interestin the boat parts i might also need a intake manifold cheep i hope
Yes I do still have the parts. Send me your address in a PM and I'll get you a price including shipping costs.

John
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Wow! Those pictures bring back memories of my junior officer days in Long Beach, CA (1973-1974) when the Coast Guard small boat station at Reservation Point on Terminal Island had "Spectra" boats that had the Olds 455 engines in them. They used the boats in LA/LB harbor, as well as various lakes, including as far away as Lake Havasu. I recall the steady "throng-throng-throng" sound of the engine as one of those boats would idle by the cutter on which I was stationed. As I recall, the Spectra boats could reach speeds over 50mph. But, when I talked with the mechanics that worked on them, they said the 455 engines were highly tempermental and took lots of "tweaking" to make them run right. The USCG had this style/type of boat for only 4-5 years before they were replaced. But they sure looked like a pretty neat boat!

Randy C.

Randy, I'm not sure if it's just my part of the country but I've seen lots of early to mid-1970's boats with these engines. With the torque of an Olds 455 I can understand the reason for it. I imagine they would really get up and move! John
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:01 PM

John, I am indeed looking for some parts, but I do have a complete engine in my boat already with all the acessories. My problem is the exhaust manifolds, as mine are cracked and repaired with JB Weld. (LOL) I could also use an HEI distributor, valve covers and a 10 quart oil pan if you have one. Other than those, I think I have everything.

what sort of prices are you looking for?

I am in Portland, so I could drive down and get the parts if I have to..

Last edited by Radarman68; November 26th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Radarman68
John, I am indeed looking for some parts, but I do have a complete engine in my boat already with all the acessories. My problem is the exhaust manifolds, as mine are cracked and repaired with JB Weld. (LOL) I could also use an HEI distributor, valve covers and a 10 quart oil pan if you have one. Other than those, I think I have everything.

what sort of prices are you looking for?

I am in Portland, so I could drive down and get the parts if I have to..
The manifolds have scratches but no cracks. I should have an extra HEI and I've got the chrome valve covers seen here or a set of Hardin Marine finned aluminum valve covers. I'll send you a PM to discuss it in more detail.

John
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:19 PM

I still have a 1973 Wriedt Jet with a 455 bored out but haven't used it for years. Very troublesome for cracking heads and blowing gaskets and getting creme in the oil spoiling fun too often but when it was working , she was pretty hot and could tow as many water skiers as you could find ropes for....6 I think I had at once. If you have deep pockets, they make way better performance stuff now -jet drives and such and some of the old ones are better than the others and have upgrade parts you can buy.