Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

NOS Underhood Lamp 1977-78-79-80-81 Olds Cutlass 442 88 98 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2022, 11:16 AM

NOS Underhood Lamp 1977-78-79-80-81 Olds Cutlass 442 88 98 Toronado

******SOLD******NOS in the original box. Oldsmobile accessory under hood light. Listed for the 1977-1981 "A", "B", "C", and "E" body cars. $53.00, includes insured U.S. Priority Mail shipping. Check or Money order. PM me if interested

Last edited by BeenThere; February 24th, 2022 at 06:35 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 11:18 AM

Pictures

Old February 24th, 2022, 04:16 AM

THAT'S THE ONE! I'll take it. P.M. sent.
Old February 24th, 2022, 06:35 AM

Sold. Thank you Gene.
Old February 24th, 2022, 03:56 PM

This is a strange part. The 995558 was a "kit" sold through GM accessories for those customers that wanted the lamp on their car but didn't get one from the factory. Parts information says it includes A, B, C, E, G and 80-81 X bodies. It does have everything included to mount the lamp to 76-88 Cutlass. Lamp, bulb, and mounting screws.

Can't speak for earlier models, but the G-body 82-88 Cutlass came with the lamp wire and connector already in the harness under the hood, just use this kit with the screws and mount the lamp under the hood, find the wire and plug it in. Later models also had that wire operated via the light switch where at least the parking light switch was on. May be true on earlier models, but I haven't researched it.

The replacement lamp for cars that already came with them from the factory, which came without screws, but does come with a bulb, is GM p/n 22529281. That's the only difference. Same lamp, just no screws. The screws came separate and individually under GM p/n 22506732. And now you know.
Old February 24th, 2022, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
This is a strange part. The 995558 was a "kit" sold through GM accessories for those customers that wanted the lamp on their car but didn't get one from the factory. Parts information says it includes A, B, C, E, G and 80-81 X bodies. It does have everything included to mount the lamp to 76-88 Cutlass. Lamp, bulb, and mounting screws.

Can't speak for earlier models, but the G-body 82-88 Cutlass came with the lamp wire and connector already in the harness under the hood, just use this kit with the screws and mount the lamp under the hood, find the wire and plug it in. Later models also had that wire operated via the light switch where at least the parking light switch was on. May be true on earlier models, but I haven't researched it.

The replacement lamp for cars that already came with them from the factory, which came without screws, but does come with a bulb, is GM p/n 22529281. That's the only difference. Same lamp, just no screws. The screws came separate and individually under GM p/n 22506732. And now you know.
Interesting info. When I saw this part listed for 1977-81 Cutlass I thought it looked identical to the under hood lamp for 1970 Cutlass (and probably other years and models). In the 1970 Cutlass ASM, two sketches appear of an under hood lamp looking identical to the one listed here, with part #393035. (The listing doesn’t include the bracket for the wire connection which maybe wasn’t required in the later years. ASM Sections 11, p. 170 and 12, p. 178.)

The ‘70 -‘72 Cutlass also has the power wire located near the brake booster/master cylinder. But a short jumper wire between the under hood lamp and the power wire is required. And similarly, the lamp lights only with the headlight switch in park or full on position, and the hood up for the mercury switch to complete the circuit.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; February 24th, 2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old February 24th, 2022, 07:59 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Excellent, 69HO43 and Tomscutlass!
Old February 25th, 2022, 06:38 AM

That's right, all good comments, this one's a "Plug 'n Play", ready to go for the mating plug in my 79 Calais. It may not be 100% correct but my Blue Calais gets the stuff that works, for that car function and fit are weighed more heavily. My 79 H/O gets the 100% correct stuff.

My black/silver 79 Brougham gets nothing as it doesn't need anything. For now. The benefits of buying a car that had 48,xxx miles on it when I bought it (has 61,xxx now).

Last edited by BlueCalais79; February 25th, 2022 at 06:40 AM.
Old February 25th, 2022, 07:32 AM

It's 100% correct for the Calais. You're good to go now.

By the way, the 393035 lamp number was superseded to 22529281 part number in 1986.

There's also a Chevy part that's a bit different where it bolts to the hood. It's a tad longer of a mounting bracket. So it's not "exact" for the Olds, but would work if you just really wanted an underhood lamp.
Old February 25th, 2022, 08:36 AM

By the way, the 393035 lamp number was superseded to 22529281 part number in 1986.
Interesting part archaeology.
Old February 25th, 2022, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Interesting part archaeology.
It is. Although just because it's a supersession doesn't always mean it is exactly like the original part in every way. It's just the GMSPO engineering has deemed the new part as a suitable replacement and will fit and function like the original part. In some regards, GM did some good things by making parts across the divisions the same part number, but sometimes they would change something ever so slightly and have 12 different part numbers across 12 different model options...they're so weird sometimes.
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:20 AM

Although just because it's a supersession doesn't always mean it is exactly like the original part in every way.
Yes ... but for this part, it is identical in appearance and function to the under hood lamp on my '70 Cutlass.

To your point though, '67 for example had a slightly different lamp base (all metal) for the under hood lamp. (Ex. p/n 982935 was a complete lamp kit for '67.) See and compare images at this post: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ronado-161169/
Old January 7th, 2023, 01:52 PM

My '79 Cutlass Brougham came with the lamp as standard. I replaced my hood years ago and all I have left is the bare wire at lamp side and connector at body harness. This leads me to believe the early lamps did not have an intermediate harness. Can anyone tell me if the 995558 kit should (have) come with an intermediate harness or is that a separate part. Thanks. I am in need of the lamp and intermediate harness.
Old January 7th, 2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 70RocketSteve
My '79 Cutlass Brougham came with the lamp as standard. I replaced my hood years ago and all I have left is the bare wire at lamp side and connector at body harness. This leads me to believe the early lamps did not have an intermediate harness. Can anyone tell me if the 995558 kit should (have) come with an intermediate harness or is that a separate part. Thanks. I am in need of the lamp and intermediate harness.
Sorry. The 995558 kit only comes with screws that I've ever seen. That's all the extra parts you get. So if an intermediate wire is needed, you'll have to locate that elsewhere.
Old January 7th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Sorry. The 995558 kit only comes with screws that I've ever seen. That's all the extra parts you get. So if an intermediate wire is needed, you'll have to locate that elsewhere.
thanks for the response. I am confused. Another member sold the "same" kit 995558 and it appears it came with cable, lamp, screws, tie and instructions. Can't tell by the instructions what part number they had. Here is the link. Help greatly appreciated.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ronado-162326/

​​​​Thanks
Old January 7th, 2023, 07:18 PM

thanks for the response. I am confused. Another member sold the "same" kit 995558 and it appears it came with cable, lamp, screws, tie and instructions. Can't tell by the instructions what part number they had. Here is the link. Help greatly appreciated.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ronado-162326/

​​​​Thanks
Apparently they used to if you bought one back in the early 70s. That's some very old packaging. Once they went to the corporate blue/black packaging, all you got was screws. It reminds me of the 442 emblems that used to come with speed nut packs early on. Then that stopped later on. Same with the G-body Olds master cylinder cover seal "kit" that only includes the cover seal. At first, they gave you the lid and the cover seal, and later all you got was the rubber seal. Yet they still called it a "kit". Unfortunately GMSPO did that over the years.

Note also that the instruction sheet doesn't even mention the intermediate lead. It says that you must unwrap the wire plug that's already installed in the car's wiring harness under the hood.
Old January 8th, 2023, 05:19 AM

I finally got around to installing the underhood lamp (kits)995558 in both my blue 79 Calais and my 79 H/O, and the box from the one I got on e-bay came with the cable, lamp, screws (one had a screw missing, no big deal), tie and the instructions. The cable supplied plugged right into the existing wire.

It was really nice to get rid of the rusted old ones. Especially the H/O since I replaced the hood insulation a few years ago with a factory NOS correct molded hood insulation pad that came in a huge flat box.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; January 8th, 2023 at 05:22 AM.
Old January 8th, 2023, 06:34 AM

Apparently they used to if you bought one back in the early 70s. That's some very old packaging. Once they went to the corporate blue/black packaging, all you got was screws. It reminds me of the 442 emblems that used to come with speed nut packs early on. Then that stopped later on. Same with the G-body Olds master cylinder cover seal "kit" that only includes the cover seal. At first, they gave you the lid and the cover seal, and later all you got was the rubber seal. Yet they still called it a "kit". Unfortunately GMSPO did that over the years.

Note also that the instruction sheet doesn't even mention the intermediate lead. It says that you must unwrap the wire plug that's already installed in the car's wiring harness under the hood.
Thanks for the info. According to some parts books it shows the wire but appears not serviced. It must come as an assembly included with the front lamp wire harness. I will seek out the replacement sub harness or repair mine with proper connector. Thanks again!
Old January 8th, 2023, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
I finally got around to installing the underhood lamp (kits)995558 in both my blue 79 Calais and my 79 H/O, and the box from the one I got on e-bay came with the cable, lamp, screws (one had a screw missing, no big deal), tie and the instructions. The cable supplied plugged right into the existing wire.

It was really nice to get rid of the rusted old ones. Especially the H/O since I replaced the hood insulation a few years ago with a factory NOS correct molded hood insulation pad that came in a huge flat box.
So your saying the 995558 kit came with a separate harness that plugs into the lamp and then down to the connector by the brake booster? It should be around 2 or three feet long?????
Old January 8th, 2023, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old January 8th, 2023, 12:26 PM

So your saying the 995558 kit came with a separate harness that plugs into the lamp and then down to the connector by the brake booster? It should be around 2 or three feet long?????
Some do and some don't, apparently. Maybe they're supposed to have all that junk in them. I've only seen them with the pack of screws and instructions. It also could be a situation where people pull the crap out of the box, and for whatever reason don't put back all the other bits that go with it. It doesn't matter really. If you need the wire, then keep looking for 995558 lamps and make sure it has the other bits with it before you buy it. It's that simple. I know for a fact they didn't put anything extra in the box with the 22529281 lamps.

I checked my own parts stash records and I'm supposed to have one 995558 lamp and about 9 of the 22529281 lamps. I'll see if I can locate it and see what, if anything, is in the box.
Old January 8th, 2023, 03:36 PM

Some do and some don't, apparently. Maybe they're supposed to have all that junk in them. I've only seen them with the pack of screws and instructions. It also could be a situation where people pull the crap out of the box, and for whatever reason don't put back all the other bits that go with it. It doesn't matter really. If you need the wire, then keep looking for 995558 lamps and make sure it has the other bits with it before you buy it. It's that simple. I know for a fact they didn't put anything extra in the box with the 22529281 lamps.

I checked my own parts stash records and I'm supposed to have one 995558 lamp and about 9 of the 22529281 lamps. I'll see if I can locate it and see what, if anything, is in the box.
That would be wonderful! Please let me know as I would be interested in the 995558 if it has the wire or if not one of the 23539281 if they are available for purchase. I can make the jumper wire easy enough. I think it's the curiosity that gets the best of me when it comes to parts.

I know where your coming from when you say things get stuffed in the wrong box or they only take what's needed then return it. I work at a body shop and you would be surprised sometimes what you get or don't get. It's definitely a hit or miss. Especially when it comes to NOS parts.

I've been fortunate to have great members while searching for what I need on forums like this. I only had one bad part. The retainer clip on the valve asm. AC Delco #15-71389 GM #16037778 that holds the two halves together had one tab broken off. I purchased a similar valve yesterday for a different application at a fraction of the cost to see if the retainer is the same. I should get it this week. Thanks again for you time vast array of knowledge and thanks to Been there for letting us elaborate within this post.

Old January 8th, 2023, 08:06 PM

Retainers should be the same. I did that with an otherwise pristine unobtanium G-body 9 port selector valve and landed a run of the mill 5 port somewhere for cheap. Same clip. No problemo.