Painting brackets, core support - best method

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Photoshop God

Painting brackets, core support - best method

When painting under hood brackets, core support and other things that may have some rust on them what is the best method using spray bombs?

After sanding and cleaning parts up do I want to use one of the rust converters?

I have duplicor self etching primer and acrylic enamel. Is this the best choice?

I've got a lot of parts doing full resto like suspension brackets core support possibly convertible frame etc. I don't have professional equipment or the know how to use it properly but I want it to look as good as I can make it.

ALL suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (1.77 MB, 17 views)
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:00 PM

Self etching primer is good for bare metal, Im sure Duplicolor is ok. Enamel paint is very durable when dry but more suceptable to lifting from some chemicals like brake fluid. You cannot spray laquer on enamel, but you can spray enamel on laquer. So if you clear coat it you will need enamel clear. I prefer epoxy primer, but not sure if it comes in spray cans. Im using enamel on my frame and associated parts. For body urethanes or laquer will give a nicer finish than enamel, but its not as durable as enamel. Not sure if you can spray clear urethanes over enamel, a paint rep could tell you.
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by DewChugr
When painting under hood brackets, core support and other things that may have some rust on them what is the best method using spray bombs?

After sanding and cleaning parts up do I want to use one of the rust converters?

I have duplicor self etching primer and acrylic enamel. Is this the best choice?

I've got a lot of parts doing full resto like suspension brackets core support possibly convertible frame etc. I don't have professional equipment or the know how to use it properly but I want it to look as good as I can make it.

ALL suggestions greatly appreciated.
Hello:
I painted all my brackets, frame and other items with a 20 gallon compressor that cost less than $200.00 and I used HF paint guns, I've sprayed etch primer, epoxy primer, different shades of black and got excellent results. When a HF gun starts to act weird, throw it away, spend $20.00 and buy a new one. I don't know if I would use them for finish body paint though.
Thanks, Ron
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

I would sandblast the parts before painting. It's much less effort than hand sanding and you are sure to get EVERY bit of rust off prior to painting. Blasting thick metal parts like this is easy.