Vinyl top paint

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:49 PM

Question Vinyl top paint

Hi Guys. I have a 1986 cutlass surpreme and the vinyl top is faded. It isn't cracked. Can someone tell me where the color code is and where to get the proper paint or kit? I would call the color light green. Thanx in advance Ed
Ps: Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:44 PM

The best vinyl dye is made by SEM. They have a cleaner / conditioner that you use first that opens the pores of the vinyl, and you spray the color on. I usually use the spray bombs, but for a top, you would want to have a quart of the product mixed to match your original top. I suggest that you Google SEM vinyl dyes, and find a local dealer. The quarts have a limited shelf life, so I wouldn't order it until you are ready to do the job. Personally, I would wait till about May before tackling a job like this, since warm weather is a must for it to dry properly.
I recently dyed a vinyl dash pad, and it came out perfectly, and my friends couldn't believe that the old faded and chalked dash could ever look like new again. Like most things, the details are in the preparation, not the actual spraying.
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It has been about 25 years since I did one but I think I got everything from Sherwin Williams automotive paint store. I do remember being a special cleaner to use before spraying.