Question about stripes on 70-72 OAI hood

Old November 18th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Photoshop God

Question about stripes on 70-72 OAI hood

Ive seen stripes painted like the one below (clone) with a sharp corner at the center of the hood like this one, and others where the corner is rounded like the outside corner of the stripe, which I think would be correct. My car is a non 442, but I'm adding the hood, which way is right? The radius on this one looks to big to me also. I know there are stencils available, but the ones I've seen listed don't show the stripe, just a description.

Also, my hood is black, car is viking blue. For the openings did they just spray the paint in there and it went as far in the opening as it went.

A couple of photos of my hood, sorry for the large size, but it's easier to see the opening. How should the openings be cleaned up? I was thinking get the top edge straightened up and blend the surface of the hood into the opening a bit, but what's the right way?

Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:36 PM

here is an original paint hood. the blackout inside was done at the end and the worker held something up to the scoop opening to dust in some black. you can see how they didn't spend alot of time on it. your hood looks to be aftermarket as the originals dont have the fiberglass cloth, they are a resin type material. w-30001.jpg
Old December 10th, 2014, 02:23 PM

A couple years ago there was a thread on here asking what color was the fiberglass in the scoops and everyone said black, except me. Mine are white. It is white from factory. I noticed both of these hoods have white in their scoops.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:42 PM

The whole hood top was white and they would black out the inserts after the color was applied on the top. Most original paint cars have the white showing through.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:41 PM

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can find that thread. It seems everyone had black scoops except me. I think they boiled it down to being due to the strike.

I did know they hood was originally white because mine had some damage to the driver's side and I had to sand it down to the glass. Mine was originally the same color as your's, except had black stripes.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:48 PM

I remember that thread as well, both mine are blacked out but you can see some white on one of them. When I refinished the vert and stripped the hood it was white fiberglass underneath the paint.
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:58 AM

I found the thread.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...let-paint.html

I find it interesting the rarity of white inlet scoops and the first post has two examples. Maybe small things entertain small minds?