Have you used Sherwin Williams paint?

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Photoshop God

Have you used Sherwin Williams paint?

I'm interested in hearing how you like outcome of using their paint. Do you use their paint code or do you have something custom mixed. Especially interested in anyone that has a viking blue car, would like to see photos.

edit: I'm doing a restoration so the whole car will be painted, not matching what is there now.

Last edited by DewChugr; October 27th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old October 27th, 2014, 02:00 PM

I've been using Sherwin Williams paint for thirty seven years. It's a good product. In my time I've painted with DuPont, PPG, Sikens and many others. I find that they are all competitive producs with very minor differences. S.W.'s viking blue formula in "Tec Base" is an excellent match, however base clear will have more light reflection on the surface then the original factory paint. The S.W. formula also sparys and mixes the same evey time, so we have no problems matching panels on our old jobs when touch up is needed. Here's pics of some cars we restored in the last twenty years. ~BOB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7-25-06 022crop (Small).jpg (82.8 KB, 61 views)
6-23-09 012 (Small).jpg (61.2 KB, 63 views)
3-18-10c 023 (Small).jpg (57.9 KB, 66 views)
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Photoshop God

[QUOTE=Carshinebob;758052]I've been using Sherwin Williams paint for thirty seven years. It's a good product. In my time I've painted with DuPont, PPG, Sikens and many others. I find that they are all competitive producs with very minor difference

Last edited by DewChugr; October 27th, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old October 27th, 2014, 10:58 PM
NOVICE car nut

Wow , I was a interior/exterior painter for a while and used SW paints most of the time . Like you said good paint , and I had no idea they made automotive paints too .
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
I've been using Sherwin Williams paint for thirty seven years. It's a good product. In my time I've painted with DuPont, PPG, Sikens and many others. I find that they are all competitive producs with very minor differences. S.W.'s viking blue formula in "Tec Base" is an excellent match, however base clear will have more light reflection on the surface then the original factory paint. The S.W. formula also sparys and mixes the same evey time, so we have no problems matching panels on our old jobs when touch up is needed. Here's pics of some cars we restored in the last twenty years. ~BOB
I'm not sure what happened to my response last night.

That's good to know. My son works at the local SW store, which unfortunately they are closing. He asked if you could send the ufn number from the top left of the sw label if you have it. I want to match the original color, but then I'm toying with going with a little more metallic in it or something to make it a little different. Also, what is "tec base"?

Thanks!
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:45 PM

Whoops. Sorry. I've been painting Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams paint. Same product different lables. I have both brands interchanged on my mixing bench. The Sherwin Willams base is "Ultra 7000". the same product for Martin senour is "Tec Base". The formula I use for Viking Blue is a Martin senour # B8-4509-N. this can be converted to a Sherwin Williams #.
If your really brave the S.W. version of M.S. TC727 Clearcoat is some of the nicest spraying urethane clear made and the price will give you a heart attack. ~BOB
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
Whoops. Sorry. I've been painting Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams paint. Same product different lables. I have both brands interchanged on my mixing bench. The Sherwin Willams base is "Ultra 7000". the same product for Martin senour is "Tec Base". The formula I use for Viking Blue is a Martin senour # B8-4509-N. this can be converted to a Sherwin Williams #.
If your really brave the S.W. version of M.S. TC727 Clearcoat is some of the nicest spraying urethane clear made and the price will give you a heart attack. ~BOB
Thanks for the information Bob. My son gets a pretty good discount on the SW stuff which will help. Those cars you posted look really nice!