"Plasti-Dip" the roof on my Two-Tone Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2014, 10:11 PM

"Plasti-Dip" the roof on my Two-Tone Cutlass

My 65 Cutlass Hardtop has factory two tone paint with Mohave Mist (light gold) on the roof, and Almond Beige (off white) on the lower portion. I have changed the interior from a sort of dirty tan color to some all new stuff in Oyster/Silver from Legendary Interiors "Custom Shop". I was going to get with a paint shop to have the roof painted a Silver color, or I also considered a 60's style vinyl roof that color as well. Well, my two sons, ages 26 and 22, have talked me into trying to "Dip" the roof with spray on "Plasti Dip". I don't know if others on this forum have seen the "Dip Yor Car" videos on youtube, or checked out their website, but even an old fart like me thinks some of the stuff these guys are doing is cool! You can spray the paint on and if you want to change colors, or go back to the orginal look, you can peel the Plasti dip off. They are doing emblems, wheels and whole darn cars. Granted this is the younger crowd with the Audis, BMWs, Jettas, and some wild sports cars and SUVs. It has a matte finish that almost feels like vinyl to the touch. I am going to use their Aluminum color in what they call a "True Metallic". I might try the Glossifier if I don't like the matte look. At any rate, its approx. $75 for a gallon of the Silver. And if it doesn't turn out I can peel the whole layer off in one big sheet. My sons are going to try do do their vehicles first, a BMW and a Range Rover (for practice!) Then my Cutlass gets its turn. I will post pics once we get around to it. Finally its starting to feel like spring here in Michigan.
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Yes, pictures would be great.
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Runner

I've seen some of those videos. Also interested to see how it turns out for you.
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:42 AM

Plasti-Dip is a very cool product.. I used it to black out the chrome on the grille of my Ford Edge, it gives it the look that comes standard on the Sport model, It has been on there for over a year, gone through one heck of a winter and probably 20 car washes and not even the slightest defect... and like you said best part is when you are ready to remove just pull a corner and start peeling.

the key is go at it slow, multiple light coats, then a few closer coats and done, If I recall correctly I put on 6 coats to get full even coverage, and that was less tan 1 can, the glossifier really makes it shiny, I only used 3 spray passes.

In my opinion, you do not need a gallon to do the roof, it probably will only take 2 cans..

Last edited by LI Olds; April 13th, 2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Finally Posting Some Pictures

I'm sorry it took so long to get around to posting these pictures...

I meant to take some as we progressed through the different coats of the Dip, but once we got started it moved pretty fast. The final product turned out great! Looks like a vinyl roof only better because there are no seams.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:37 AM

Though I do not like the silver against the beige I really like the look of how it turner out. I would go down that road if I needed to. Thumps up! ;-)
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:46 AM

I like the silver and beige…at least I like it a lot better than the faded gold paint that was on it. The original interior was a dirty looking tan, and there was no way I wanted to redo it in that color. The silver picks up the interior colors, which was my intent. I want to end up doing a frame off by next winter, at that time the Plasti Dip roof AND the rest of the car will be a two tone paint scheme that works with the Oyster and Titanium interior. I check out color combinations on other cars at every event I attend, I still haven't made a final choice.