Paint time, where do I get it done

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Paint time, where do I get it done

I've been wanting to get my Delta repainted for a while. All the clear is comming off the hood roof and trunk (and top of the fenders and 1/4 panels on the rear) but the sides are still in decent shape. There are 2 dents and 4 or 5 rust spots on the sides, none of which go thru the metal.

The dents look like they could be pulled paint-less-ly 2 of the rust spots aren't that bad, 1 at each dent, the other 3 are right above the chrome trim on the bottom of the doors (which I don't care if the chrome stays or goes)

I was thinking about Macco. I know a lot of you probably just facepalmed, but I've been reading reviews of local Maccos found a few that suck, 2 or 3 that are so-so, and one that every review is top notch and that one painted a 69 Camaro and a Classic Mopar (forget exact model)

I was also going to stop by my local GM dealership and see what they say. A guy at work said he knew a body shop in the area that would probably only charge $700 to do the entire car. My Mech has an uncle with a body shop too.

The car is due for inspection by Jan 31 and I want "Classic" insurance on the car before I start putting real money into it and drop the engine and transmission in the car. I lost a lot of money with the other Delta I had. The car was rejected for Classic insurnace for the paint.

I read about "Single stage" paint and how it's paint and clear mixed together and how that's not good. Car will be kept outside in all weather. Philly can have some pretty harsh winters and summers. Car is not driven when there is snow or salt on the ground and it's in the driveway behind my house, not on the street. If need be, I could buy a cover

Also, does anybody know a place in the Greater Philadelphia Area I could go to? What is everybody's thoughts? Car will be staying factory color
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Here are the Superpages.com reviews on the place

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Hatboro...eviewContainer

Has 4.8 stars on Google but I cannot open the reviews on my work CPU
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Justin

Single stages only last about five or so years then like what you have starts to fade on top, you can clear coat after if you want , but in the long run my works paint rep told me if I want cheap buy cheap paint and go with a quality clear as the clear is what blocks the uv light

This is what I was told I have no hands on in paint quality

I have painted a few cars with single stage tho and they came out okay for a do it your self job so if you want to go cheap and just make it shine why not try it your self ?
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:36 PM

it depends how long you want the job to last. macco is a few steps up from earl shieb,and won't last long. if you really value the car and want the job to last, find someone that restores classic cars, with a good rep.
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:52 PM

This is an area where you get what you pay for. If you are expecting something really nice , you have to spend more money to achieve that goal.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Barry Jones
This is an area where you get what you pay for. If you are expecting something really nice , you have to spend more money to achieve that goal.
X2 but I would have a hard time spending the $$$ knowing it's not going to be garaged
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
X2 but I would have a hard time spending the $$$ knowing it's not going to be garaged
But - can you stand to look at a bad paint job on the car ?
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Justin

Define bad lol

To answer your question he depends how picky you are a year ago maybe I wasn't as educated on the subject so a stander paint job would have done the job , but fast forward today I know a lot more about a natural orange peel to a nice cut and buff mirror image
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Bad would be - I can't believe I paid for this arrrgh ! Lol
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Barry Jones
Bad would be - I can't believe I paid for this arrrgh ! Lol
Lol in my profile I have my 72 I did all the body work and single stage paint cost me 110.00 in 03 I thought it was good always got good responses but to day I would say bad paint and body
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Find someone who does side work is also always an option. There is auto body forums.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Administrator

#1, if it's kept outside it won't qualify for classic car insurance. #2, a good Maaco paint job is all you probably want. They do good work if it's one of the reputable shops and they are inexpensive compared to the alternative, with a guarantee.