painting instructions

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2014, 06:37 PM

There are compounds you may want to use that are not nearly as aggressive as rubbing compound. Meguiar's makes makes several different grades. You may want to check it out. I expect that the marks in your paint are on corners and high spots. These spots are by far the easiest to rub through. Don't ask how I know. BE CAREFUL! I would use wet 2000 grade paper and rub gently. Don't get too aggressive.

You may want to use tape on sharp corners and buff from the paint side toward the taped line from the flat side toward the tape and then put tape on the other side of the line and repeat. Don't let you foam pad touch the paint going from the tape to the paint or you'll have a problem. It will likely burn through. Tough to do well. Take your time. Be sure your paint is cured.

I use tape on the style lines and corners and buff to them and not buff on them at all if I can help it.

Good luck!
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:51 PM

The paint seems to have fully cured I really don't want to put the sandpaper on it afraid I may mess up and have to repaint the car I have already purchased some turtle wax rubbing compound and some cloth rubbing pads should I have gotten foam pads because I tried the tape thing and tried rubbing a small spot with the turtle wax compound and it didn't remove the imprints it also made the spot kind of dull looking
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:10 PM

Using rubbing compound by hand on a black car will make it look worse than what it is. As you saw, it makes the area look dull and a foam hand pad will not change that. You would need to use more products that are finer and finer to get rid of the scratches from the coarse rubbing compound. Removing flaws in paint requires wet sanding and rubbing it, preferably with a buffer. You can do it by hand but it would be a ton of work and you will need a lot more than a can of rubbing compound. My suggestion to you is if the flaws are not that significant, leave it as is or you could end up with something that looks worse. Not trying to discourage you but what you want to do requires know how, materials and equipment and without the correct items, especially on a black car, you may wish you had not played with it.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by spyke
The paint seems to have fully cured I really don't want to put the sandpaper on it afraid I may mess up and have to repaint the car I have already purchased some turtle wax rubbing compound and some cloth rubbing pads should I have gotten foam pads because I tried the tape thing and tried rubbing a small spot with the turtle wax compound and it didn't remove the imprints it also made the spot kind of dull looking

Spyke....did you say the tape is still leaving marks? Sounds like it isn't fully cured. Has it been cold down there since you painted it? The paint will probably severely slow down as far as cure below 50*F. Did you mix it correctly? Too much OR too little activator will effect the cure.
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Yeah it has been very cold for the last 3 days temperatures as low as 11 one and 7 another and no its not leaving tape marks I was saying I used tape to make an area to test the compound I think I'm gonna just get some wax then wash it pretty good then put some liquid wax on it just to make it shine and that's gonna be the end of this project I'm gonna post pictures of my 79 once I get the first coat of paint on it the temperature is gonna rise here to about 65 so I'm gonna wait til the weekend and spray it I'm looking for some of the round Oldsmobile emblems that are on the alero to put under my vinyl top I have a saddle brown top going over about 20 emblems I'm short 5 if anyone have any let me know