1968 442 color paint for headlight housing

Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:49 PM

1968 442 color paint for headlight housing

hello everyone,

hope someone can help me with what is the correct black paint to use for the headlight housing. I know the trim would be a dull aluminum but the black color, im not sure...semi gloss or flat? and what brand to use?

thank you..
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Randy C.

I used GM Chassis Black on mine which gives it a bit of a shine, but nothing like semi-gloss or full gloss. I'm sure the originals weren't real shiny but they did have a little shine to them and the GM Chassis Black gave me what I thought was right.

Funny thing - when I cleaned off the original paint, there was a bit of overspray on the passenger outboard bezel. So, when I repainted, I purposely left a little edge of tape up on that same bezel so there would be a very small area of light overspray on the lower outboard corner of that particular bezel. Hardly noticeable, right? Just like the factory, right? I got gigged a couple of points at the Reno Nationals in 2011 for the overspray on that headlight bezel! Sometimes you just can't win that game! Never-the-less, going to the Nationals was an absolutely enjoyable week for me.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0510111116.jpg (65.0 KB, 22 views)
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I used GM Chassis Black on mine which gives it a bit of a shine, but nothing like semi-gloss or full gloss. I'm sure the originals weren't real shiny but they did have a little shine to them and the GM Chassis Black gave me what I thought was right.

Funny thing - when I cleaned off the original paint, there was a bit of overspray on the passenger outboard bezel. So, when I repainted, I purposely left a little edge of tape up on that same bezel so there would be a very small area of light overspray on the lower outboard corner of that particular bezel. Hardly noticeable, right? Just like the factory, right? I got gigged a couple of points at the Reno Nationals in 2011 for the overspray on that headlight bezel! Sometimes you just can't win that game! Never-the-less, going to the Nationals was an absolutely enjoyable week for me.

randy,

thank you for the feedback, i will go ahead and use the GM chassis black...along with the argent silver for the trim. by the way, beautiful car...!!!!

fred
Randy C.