70 Blue stripe cars?

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM

70 Blue stripe cars?

I have 28 Twilight blue with 933 blue bucket seats. What color would the stripe be? They are black now but is not original paint. I tried to sand down a spot to see if i could see the original color stripe but can't find anything. I may have some pictures of the car coming from 1971 that will tell me but even then i don't know what the color is called or what the code is. The wife of the original owner said she can't remember it having stripes but remembers the car well. She is digging up old pictures of it.

100_1298-1.jpg?t=1359072881
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:25 PM

not sure why the picture is so big, i tried to delete it but it will not let me.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:18 PM

I'm sure every trim combo had a default choice, but I've never seen the list. I wouldn't be surprised to learn if a blue stripe was standard, but black or white also work and would be considered correct.

I too experienced the "What stripe?" thing from the original owners of my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970Twilight:blueW30rag2.jpg (96.5 KB, 79 views)
1970Twilight:blueW30rag.jpg (81.6 KB, 88 views)
1970Twilight:Blue_W31.jpg (55.6 KB, 81 views)
1970Twilight:Blue_W31-2.jpg (60.1 KB, 82 views)
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM

The 1970 Assy Manual says the recommended stripe colors for 28 Twilight Blue are black, white and blue. If stripe color was not specified on 442 order, stripes would be furnished in white for paint code 28. It is recommended stripe color matches top color or interior trim color whenever possible. My car is also 28 exterior and 933 interior and it came with white stripes. Mine also had a code C Dk blue vinyl top. They also show the stripe color paint codes in section O page 31. Other info on page 41.

Last edited by 69'442; January 24th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Where do you find the default stripe color for Twilight Blue is white?
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM

There are notes with a chart in sect O page 41 of Assy Manual
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Wow, I've never seen reference to a default color before.

It's interesting that most manufacturers I've seen specify a default stripe color for each paint color, but Oldsmobile chose to take the easy way out and just specify black or white.
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:06 PM

X2 what 69'442 says.

Lots of people like to match the stripes to the interior but I like three different colors (even though mine is two) I do think white stripes on a #28 car really really stands out. Though the blue stripe color of 1970 is very unique and a great color
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:08 AM

I too like the blue stripe. And having said that, both black and white stripes look good also.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 69'442
There are notes with a chart in sect O page 41 of Assy Manual
Yes, indeed and stripe colors are also noted in the SPECS booklets.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Eric, you know I'm going to once again say that your answers are there at Wild About Cars!

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and the Automotive History Preservation Society library growing daily.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:53 AM

Kurt, I believe that document doesn't list the defaults, which is why I had never seen any reference to that before. Accessing the WAC website for the assembly manual gave me that little bit of information that I was seeking.
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Hi all,

Below is the paint mixture I used for my blue stripe car.

Thanks to Ken C. For all is help!

Cheers,

Sam

stripecolors.jpg

Bluestripecolor006.jpg

Bluestripecolor001.jpg

Brantford-20121104-00090.jpg

Brantford-20120620-00231.jpg

Last edited by 72xw30; January 25th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM

[drool...]
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Kurt, I looked there but didn't understand what i was seeing. Is the Cutlass and 442 considered an Intermediate? If so I still don't understand what i am seeing. I always thought that the stripe had to be interior color? So it is possible to have a 3 color car? I want to know what mine had original but if there were 3 available i am not sure i will be able to do it. I sure hope i get the pictures or paper work from the original owner.

So there is only one shade of blue available for the blue stripe?

Last edited by jensenracing77; January 25th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM

What is shows is that if you ordered Twilight Blue, Oldsmobile recommended a certain selection of colors for the interior and trim. The stripe matching the interior is merely a suggestion but by no means mandatory, as can be seen by plenty of cars (although I'm presuming for the sake of example these cars are as built from the factory).
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:45 PM

I guess that would make sense... My dad had an original 70 W-30 that was sebring yellow with blue interior and blue stripe (YUCK) with paper work to prove it came that way. That don't show up in the list on WAC. I wonder how many left the factory like that?
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Your dad specifically ordered it that way so it stands to reason. If he didn't specify the stripe, the default would have been white or black - the assembly manual in WAC shows what came with what.

I'm still waiting for you to find a pic of the yellow/blue car. :-)
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Diego
Your dad specifically ordered it that way so it stands to reason. If he didn't specify the stripe, the default would have been white or black - the assembly manual in WAC shows what came with what.

I'm still waiting for you to find a pic of the yellow/blue car. :-)
We got it used in 89 and it had already been painted red with white stripe by then. It still had the blue interior and yellow door jambs. it came loaded with options and documentation from new. It was missing the original engine but still had the OW transmission. It was also a Z code car (what ever the Z means) I am still trying to track down that car. I want to restore that one because it is so ODD and documented to be that way.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Yes, only 1 shade of blue. The blue shown above in the specs booklet.
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM

Other than a copy of the original paperwork, there really isn't any way to tell what color the stripes on your care were from the factory. Mine has red stripes on black and when first got the car (LOTS of years ago) I had more than one person (incorrectly) tell me you couldn't get red stripes on a black car. So I spent a lot of time trying to find documentation that doesn't exist. However, since that point some 30 years ago we have all learned a few things! The internet, this form and sites lke Wild About Cars have all made it a LOT easier!

Jim
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:26 PM

Even then you are limited in what the documentation tells you, my hard top has way more documentation than the convertible yet nothing says anything about the stripes, though maybe I should look again.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM

I have heard the term "stripe delete" Is it possible that a W-30 did not get stripes? The original owner to my car has passed away but his wife said the car never had stripes? She also added that it has been so long ago that she can't remember for sure. She is still trying to find pictures of the car from back then. Even if this car didn't have them It will have them when i am done. I think they are ugly without them. If she can't find pictures I will have to decide what color to use. I think it may be a blue stripe car.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:28 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yes you could specify "stripe delete"
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Kurt, I looked there but didn't understand what i was seeing. Is the Cutlass and 442 considered an Intermediate? If so I still don't understand what i am seeing. I always thought that the stripe had to be interior color?
What is shows is that if you ordered Twilight Blue, Oldsmobile recommended a certain selection of colors for the interior and trim. The stripe matching the interior is merely a suggestion but by no means mandatory, as can be seen by plenty of cars (although I'm presuming for the sake of example these cars are as built from the factory).
The Cutlass was an intermediate. As Diego says, "recommended" was nothing more than that. Keep in mind that most cars were not produced directly from customer orders. It was felt that some guidance was need in color match selections, so cars wouldn't end up sitting on dealer lots. Let alone customers who don't end up liking what they ordered!

If it was his dad that placed the factory order. Yes, his dad or whoever ordered it.

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Yes you could specify "stripe delete"
Can you document that? I've yet to see any documentation for that. I know there there is a specific stripe delete option for '67, but I've not seen one for '70.
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM

[QUOTE=wmachine;517617
Can you document that? I've yet to see any documentation for that. I know there there is a specific stripe delete option for '67, but I've not seen one for '70.[/QUOTE]

Once I saw an order form that had "stripe delete" on it. I'm sure I did, maybe I saved an image of it, but again maybe I didn't see it but I thought I did. I have heard of stripe delete many times but after 40 years who's to say the cars without stripes just weren't repainted that way and the easy answer from the seller is "didn't have them in the first place."
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by wmachine

Can you document that? I've yet to see any documentation for that. I know there there is a specific stripe delete option for '67, but I've not seen one for '70.
I can tell you it was part of what was included in the W30 package but not under the mandatory options for the W30. Although this one is documented to be ordered by Berejik and it does have bulletproof documentation since the owner has all docs and the fact that Berejik has scans of all orders and window stickers that came through his place. So yes it is possible

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/124823/index.html

Old March 7th, 2013, 07:10 AM

I can tell you it was part of what was included in the W30 package but not under the mandatory options for the W30. Although this one is documented to be ordered by Berejik and it does have bulletproof documentation since the owner has all docs and the fact that Berejik has scans of all orders and window stickers that came through his place. So yes it is possible
I have never considered an auction description to be anything close to documentation, and I still don't. "Someone says" never counts.
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:32 AM
"Car"mudgeon

You don't have to. If it's important that you find out, contact Berejik he has all the documentation on this car period. Not trusting auctions is a good thing, but the documentation is there if need be regardless.
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Kurt, that car is purported to be legit, although I haven't ever seen the docs to support the assertion.

I guess it begs the question, if true: Was stripe-delete a normal option on the order form or was it a special-order function? I bet the former, judging by other cars with which I'm familiar. Do you have some Olds order forms to reference? For example, perhaps your Jetstar I came with a pinstripe standard but had the option to delete it?
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Kurt, that car is purported to be legit, although I haven't ever seen the docs to support the assertion.

I guess it begs the question, if true: Was stripe-delete a normal option on the order form or was it a special-order function? I bet the former, judging by other cars with which I'm familiar. Do you have some Olds order forms to reference? For example, perhaps your Jetstar I came with a pinstripe standard but had the option to delete it?
Good question. That's the paper trail I'm looking for.
The only point of reference I have for that is a 12/21/66 Marketing Bulletin that introduces option Y74 to delete the "G.T." paint stripe that was standard with the 442 option in '67. Instructions were to check off the blank box at the bottom of the order form and write Y74 in the box. You could call that a special order, but all midyear changes/additions were done that way on the order forms.
Of course if you checked off Y74 in '70, you'd be in for a big surprise when your car showed up with Indy Pace Car stripes and decals!

So it is not at all improbable that stripes could be deleted. Just need to see it substantiated.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good luck finding a paper trail except with the Berejik car mentioned above as it would have been a special order option not publicly advertised but had to be okay-ed through the zone manager and upward and not just an RPO checked off or penned in for the W30. if I had to guess it would be along the lines of Y63 or Y77
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM

Good luck finding a paper trail except with the Berejik car mentioned above as it would have been a special order option not publicly advertised but had to be okay-ed through the zone manager and upward and not just an RPO checked off or penned in for the W30. if I had to guess it would be along the lines of Y63 or Y77
Fortunately, I don't rely on luck. Or speculation, or guesses.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by wmachine
Fortunately, I don't rely on luck. Or speculation, or guesses.
I told you where to find the facts, and who cares what you rely on because you have been wrong before as I have as well. I am merely wording my previous response as to the possible RPO codes as a guess so no one would take that part of my response as fact. And the fact is that to be stripe delete it would have had to be specially ordered as such and not a block that you check off on the order sheet.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Has anyone ever seen a 70 442 paint code 28 car with a factory installed BLACK vinyl top? If so, do you recall what the strip colors were or could be?

Thanks
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:00 AM

The stripe color is not connected to the top color.

Page is from Wild About Cars
Attached Images
1970striperecommendations.jpg (77.0 KB, 49 views)