Paint Color for sheet metal 'under' car?

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Paint Color for sheet metal 'under' car?

67 442. Saffron top side.

NOT a show car. Just trying to clean up the bottom side to get it looking better.

What 'color' was the sheet metal under the car to have originally been? (other than black from undercoating....)

I'm talking the bottom side of floor pans and trunk pan.

"Primer reddish brown?", "black?", "*****?".

I'm assuming cars weren't undercoated from factory and would have been delivered with primer or something under there, which may be a bad assumption.

Using the Extreme Chassis Satin on frame rails (or at least the portions I can get to), tank will probably be replaced on a 'just because' basis since I'm going to put a fresh sending unit in it, so would like to clean up that area under car when I have tank out.

Thanks,
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:02 AM

As far as I know its semigloss black.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Most cars i have been under dont get painted. They are galvanized steel with a little bit overspray from painting the car
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:31 PM

Satin black. Typically some body color overspray on the black paint but in your case you'll be well served to paint those parts satin black and be done with it.

None of those panels were galvanized on your car....possibly the rockers but that would be it.
Old March 27th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Registered

If you're going to paint it use semi-gloss black or whatever percentage gloss the firewall is if it's painted unless it's a full gloss. I think some some cars were just primer underneath, depends on what assembly plant they came out of, most had body color overspray on the bottom. I used Eastwood Underhood Black lacquer on my '71 Vista underneath and in the engine compartment. The frame has a little more gloss originally, it was a pain doing them differently without taking the body off but it looked a lot better than all the same gloss. Rustoleum satin black works too but that's enamel. It is a lot more durable than the lacquer, you just can't get any lacquer overspray on it or it will bubble up.
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Randy C.

I used Seymour GM Chassis Black on the underside and frame of my '68. Yes, I used it in rattle can form. Yes, it took a long time. But, yes, 5 years later, it is still holding up just fine!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0730111149.jpg (69.4 KB, 30 views)