Eastwood's new tool and garage painting

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2018, 05:17 PM

Eastwood's new tool and garage painting

Called the SCT sander. I ordered one but wondered has anyone here tried it yet? I'm sure it may lead to a repainting since my car has Chevell stripes on the trunk and then there's the whole I love black cars thing. I painted a 79 trans am with black lacquer many years ago in my driveway but not sure I could get away with painting at home these days. Whatchathink?
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:50 PM

I haven't done it myself, but have a friend who's painted a couple cars in the carport. He hoses the area around it down for dust abatement and shoots the car early in the morning. He's has had good luck, not a show car paint job but decent for a driver.
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:22 PM
same but different

I've not heard of it till now. You tube has some videos about it. Looks pretty darn neat and built good. Its only draw back is the cost of abrasive wheels. It all cost money. This tool looks like a time saver and allows you to work quickly.

I've painted about a dozen vehicles in my life and I'm no painter. In the same fashion, I would wet down the area and paint in the morning. I'm done with painting cars though.
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have considered the purchase of the sct as in the shop it would have a great use for those bigger metal jobs where I need huge areas stripped off.

Another alternative to stripping is paint stripper. Now bear with me here. Brush it on then cover it with masking plastic like thin mil plastic used in body shops. Keeps the mess to a minimum you let the stripper work while the plastic holds it in place.

The down side to those tools is you do put heat into the panels. We use the 3m strip wheels which are the same material as those strip drum rolls. just smaller and they do create heat. You have to move fast and not work one area too much.

Although I work in a body shop my car was sprayed in a garage along with all the body work. You don't need a fancy work space details pay off.

Old January 17th, 2018, 05:37 AM

Gary, if you don't feel comfortable painting your car in the garage consider taking an auto body course at the local vo-tech. They usually offer them in the evenings so you could hopefully do it around work. Plus, you would have access to professional facilities.
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:19 AM

It seems they're selling like "hotcakes." Eastwood website says, "out of stock."
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

I bought an SCT at Carlisle but have not used it yet. I'll be putting it to the test once the weather warms up a little.
Old January 17th, 2018, 04:06 PM

I have one and like it. It still takes elbow grease and is not light in weight but manageable. Get the 80 grit for paint removal on the body panels and a lower grit for heavy rust or the attachment that looks like a wire wheel. GL