71 Bittersweet Olds owners-need your help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2017, 08:37 AM

71 Bittersweet Olds owners-need your help!!!!!

I am undergoing a frame off on my 71 Bittersweet colored 442. I was just told by my painter that PPG discontinued that color. What would you suggest? I want to keep the car as close to factory as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old April 11th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by johnbumb@charter.net
I am undergoing a frame off on my 71 Bittersweet colored 442. I was just told by my painter that PPG discontinued that color. What would you suggest? I want to keep the car as close to factory as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.
That shouldn't be a show stopper. PPG wasn't the original supplier, Dupont probably was. Get a paint sample from up inside your trunk or behind your door panels or another hidden place where it isn't sun-faded and have it custom matched by a paint supplier if necessary. You can try Dupont, Sikkens and other brands as well that may have the correct blend. Good luck!

Terry
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Auto paints are mixed from pigments, so you can't really "discontinue" a color. If anything, PPG has deleted or never developed a conversion from the original lacquer mix to modern materials. Other vendors can mix this color, or you can bring a sample of the old paint as noted and have it matched.

This page has the cross references for other paint manufacturers. The original GM color code was WA4140.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:53 PM

You may want to try here.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-...toration-Shop/
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by vette442
Get a paint sample from up inside your trunk or behind your door panels or another hidden place where it isn't sun-faded and have it custom matched by a paint supplier if necessary.
My painter did as Terry said--he took in a wind deflector with a peeling second coat and matched the color to the factory paint underneath. We recently compared the color he got with a SSIII spare wheel painted with the original color. The two items had indistinguishable color difference.

In other words, with a little work, the color will turn out great!