Petina Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2017, 03:21 AM

Petina Paint Job?

Hey guys hopin to get some advice on my 67 442 Convertible: I got it as a barn find and it looked pretty miserable when I got it someone had done a really bad earl scheib Clown red paint on it but the price was right so I bought it, got it running and drove home... after some TLC she runs good and have had for 2 years... now I am working a little on aesthetics and decided to see what was lurking under paint... used some of the citrus stuff to gently strip top coat off and after some help from my lovely wife we now have it down to original Aspen Green paint and bondo repairs which were without much prep so it left a patina that actually looks pretty cool also polished the moldings all over mostly to get stripper off but eventually cleaned up kinda nice... also decided to go with chevy late 60's rally style wheels with anonymous hubs polished and painted aspen green with new trim rings and tires... now what's left is leaning me towards sanding it up filling the few small holes... putting just a bit of spot primer and a satin clear over that until I want to go whole hog on a paint job... that way I can do all interior, mechanical (though it runs decent and Th400 works good) and chassis upgrades first what you guys think?

when I got her

Old February 26th, 2017, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Not a fan of the patina look on A bodies, I would just put a thin coat of primer gray over the whole car.
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:22 AM
72 Olds CS

ID lose the rally's and keep the green paint sans satin clear, I have no problem w deteriorating paint...
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:31 AM

Wow, what citrus stuff did you use? Looks like it's solid. I notice the wheels look Chevy. Post some pictures after you decide and finish.
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:47 AM

X2 on no patina, just not my style To me it's to new for the patina look. To each their own... Tedd
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's not a patina - it looks like a car that's in the shop being worked on. We all drove around like that when we were kids, and would do a little sanding and Bondo for a few minutes every now and then when we had the chance.

It's your car, you can make it look any way you'd like, and there's nothing wrong with doing minor body work while using the car, but intentionally making a car look like you're in the middle of working on it, while not actually being in the middle of working on it is... Well, I wouldn't do it.

- Eric
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Work in progress is cool. And I have done it alot. You want it to look cool go buy some red oxide primer or flat black primer . I love that look. A guy around here had a primer red Buick gs for the longest time with some old centerlines it looked bad ***. The he got it painted I was sad but it did look great after and before.
Old February 26th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Takes me back to my 19 years painting in Olds dealerships. You need to get some good epoxy primer on the bare metal. It must not have any surface rust on the metal or it will continue to fester under the primer. I always like your original color, but do whatever turns you on. Enjoy
Old February 26th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Bfg

Loose the Chebby Rallye wheels.
Old February 26th, 2017, 10:08 AM

In the 80's I fogged a little over reduced enamel over the thin spots on a 58 chevy truck. It was my daily driver for almost six years. It wasn't shiny, but everone who saw it thought it was original. here's the before pic. I also used to do the same on a 71 442 convertible I owned for fourteen years. On that one I fogged lacquer over the bad spots. Even though the car had lots of parking dents, at least it was one color with no holes.3750.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4070.jpg (320.7 KB, 41 views)
Old February 26th, 2017, 03:52 PM

Gary M... they sell this citrus stripper at Walmart and Lowes no harmful vapors and just used the heavier strip pads from Lowes took me 4 quart bottles to do whole car... about 120 bucks total... and it rubs right off the stainless easy with lighter abrasive pads... I avoided steel wool purposefully all plastic scrubbing pads...
Old February 26th, 2017, 04:06 PM

My first 67 442 love was a hardtop with whole body painted white over the original gold paint which they left a wide stripe of in the gold and it had a set of these Rally wheels painted gold... that cars look hit me hard as an 18 yr old back in 1982 and I have loved 442s ever since... this wheel set was a great way to make it look fresh for cheap... less than $170 for wheels, rings, hubs(non chevy) and they look new, besides I am really not a fan of the Rally 3's or 14" wheels in general which came with the car... besides if I get sick of them can sell for about what I got in em and buy new rims
Old February 26th, 2017, 04:58 PM

I like the patina look. Yeah, a nice paint job would be a better option. But a nice as found look is also really cool. At least until you get around to painting it.
Old February 26th, 2017, 05:57 PM

The Aspen green with a nice set SS-1 rims will make your 442 really pop, in my opinion.
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:50 PM

All my firends who saw my car in primer loved it !!!! I loved it too but it got painted.

Then i made some changes and went through a few phases which put me where the car was the last 2 years. The front end was in primer but it looked too hillbilly for me so i put flames going into the doors so that it appeared it was the look i was going for. Many people liked it. For me it was a means to an end as i didnt have money for paint. Its currently undergoing a repaint yet again and im going to paint it the original color again to make it look as good as when i did the resto the first time around. I beat the crap out of this car so 8 years of abuse / racing / One wreck on the highway its been through hell and back.

Old February 26th, 2017, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the citrus. Since you got bare metal in some spots and decide to clear coat it, is the clear going to protect the bare spots as good as a proper primer? Also if you decide to paint it later will the clear cause more prep work? Just curious.
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:43 PM

if you clear over bare metal you will have to for sure sand the clear off and coat the bare metal properly.
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:37 AM

Your welcome Gary M.... the citrus didn't take it to bare metal there was some repairs done particularly in the rear wheel rounds and the the fenders down low are a little crusty and the door on other side from pic is got a bad spot so bottom line is I can't afford full paint work done right because metal work needs to be right... not equipped to do it in any event... so just thought I would sand it down fill the small stuff and live with it for a while... thinkin about a combo of what carshine bob did with fogging and use very little bondo and primer so stripping will be easy later when I decide to finish it better plus I might as well replace the tons of other stuff on it that are deteriorated while my wife and I enjoy it some more til then... actually it has been fine with the clown red but wanted to be a little less ridiculous lol but think I will skip the clear now and just do best to make it look a little better! I enjoy the car so much... looks are nice but secondary to the long rides we take in it...
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:07 AM
Frank Ignachuck

As has been said, to each his own. To me, that's not patina. It's a restoration project in progress. And it looks great so far.
Old February 27th, 2017, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by tbdragon
I can't afford full paint work done right because metal work needs to be right... not equipped to do it in any event...
If you have limited funds consider taking an auto body course at a local vo-tech. I was able to paint my 71 98 by taking an auto body course in the evenings around work and family time. I spent less than $2000 on the course, paint, primer and supplies. You would pay much more to have a shop paint it professionally.