Rust encapsulator vs. rust converter

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2017, 08:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Rust encapsulator vs. rust converter

I have to admit that I've been confused about which to use when. This how-to from Eastwood just dropped today. It clears it up, but unfortunately I apparently did the wrong thing on the suspension arms for my 67.

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...ontent=1EM4661
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:26 AM

Good info Joe. Thanks for posting
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the link.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:27 PM

IMO Rust converter is garbage, use POR-15 or similar if you're not going to remove the rust.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bccan
IMO Rust converter is garbage, use POR-15 or similar if you're not going to remove the rust.
Well, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator is their version of POR-15. Same stuff, same cures with humidity. Per that article, the converter (and again, everybody sells a version of this) is only for very scaly, pitted rust. I can't ever see using it on a car - at least not one I cared about. On the other hand, it has a purpose on things like rusty trailers and such. You're supposed to top coat the converter with POR or Rust Encapsulator, or similar paint.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:05 PM

back in the day I sold probably a thousand gallons of Rust Destroyer. This product has a rust converter + a encapsulate in it ,will take hot solvent top coats or epoxy's after 72 hours cure, sticks to many surfaces other than ferrous(stainless copper aluminum). Does not need a top coat(holds up to UV by itself) and goes on much like a fill coat would and will mask many rust dempled areas with two coats, about as close as a all in one coating as can be found. Good stuff, never had a come back/ complaint that I can remember in over twenty years. Burnt red in color.. I'm not involved in this product anymore, no skin in this game.... Tedd http://www.thepaintstore.com/Advance...er_p/73001.htm
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
back in the day I sold probably a thousand gallons of Rust Destroyer. This product has a rust converter + a encapsulate in it ,will take hot solvent top coats or epoxy's after 72 hours cure, sticks to many surfaces other than ferrous(stainless copper aluminum). Does not need a top coat(holds up to UV by itself) and goes on much like a fill coat would and will mask many rust dempled areas with two coats, about as close as a all in one coating as can be found. Good stuff, never had a come back/ complaint that I can remember in over twenty years. Burnt red in color.. I'm not involved in this product anymore, no skin in this game.... Tedd http://www.thepaintstore.com/Advance...er_p/73001.htm
Thanks. I had not heard of that product before. I'll have to try it. I use Rust Cover Paint from TP Tools. Another POR clone, but TP claims theirs is UV stable. I haven't had it out in the sun long enough to verify that yet.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:46 PM

Joe, I used the Eastwood rust encapsulator sparingly as need on the F-85 build, example in the picture. I wired wheeled etc. off the surface rust best I could. I actually let one coat cure and hit again. Good stuff for these purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0333.JPG (884.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0332.JPG (821.7 KB, 95 views)
Old February 23rd, 2017, 05:07 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have used rust converter a few times, actually so far so good with the 70, I left it on overnight, might have helped. POR 15, seems cool, even after pretreating with Marine clean and neutralizing, the rust came back. I have used Rust Destroyer a little, like primer but much more money.
Old February 24th, 2017, 05:43 AM

I've used this stuff before along with a wire wheel to treat rust before coating it with Rust-o-leum:

Amazon Amazon
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:16 PM

I just bought some ospho rust treatment. It will be used in places where you can't get paint, floor braces, fuel tank supports. It's a thin liquid and can be sprayed on with a sprayer and for places you simply can't access it should do the trick.
Old October 27th, 2017, 02:44 AM

I have a good experience with rust converter! Actually rust gets disappeared after applying rust converter. The thickness of surface remains same after using rust converter.