Engine Compartment Paint Color

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2016, 04:59 AM

Engine Compartment Paint Color

I pulled the engine out of my 1972 Cutless Supreme and cleaning and painting what I can get to. Can someone give me some ideas on original paint for brackets, hood hinges, radiator, air cleaner, etc? I like flat black because it hides the flaws but seems like a gloss is used, not sure, thanks.
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:32 AM

Satin black and if you buy the good cans of paint it goes much farther than the cheap ones.
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:30 AM
Randy C.

I used Seymour's GM chassis black for nearly all of the black components under the hood (firewall, core support, radiator, cover over the radiator, frame, suspension pieces, alternator/power steering/air conditioning brackets, and so forth. For the inner fenders, I just cleaned and cleaned and cleaned them with lacquer thinner. For the fan and the cover on the voltage regulator (if yours is external), I used gloss black. The hood hinges were a little different as they have a special metal finish that seems to deteriorate over time. I took the springs off of the hinges, cleaned the hinges and painted them with a cast iron metal color (dark grey, it's called "Cast Blast"). The springs are more of a straight steel color finish so, after cleaning them, I painted them a color called "stainless steel". The hinges looked pretty much like original when I was done.

I don't know what color your air cleaner is but I would suspect it should be a semi-gloss to gloss finish. Check www.Fusick.com for the paints they have.

Randy C.
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:50 PM

There is generally more than one shade of black under the hood. Most common are Gloss Black and Semi Gloss or chassis black.