Paint Question, 1970 442 Matching Number Car, Original Color Aspen Green

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2016, 11:37 PM

Paint Question, 1970 442 Matching Number Car, Original Color Aspen Green

Hello,

First off, your advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sure this isn't a new question you've never heard before. My question is, I recently purchased a car from a friend who's grandmother would take me to elementary school in. It's a one owner car, matching numbers 442. The original color is Aspen Green, it had a repaint in the 90's to a forest green. It's currently in the body shop, I'm doing this one all correct, media blasted whole car, Frame off restoration. Thing is I'm not too crazy about the original color. Also I was considering painted on stripes rather than the vinyl. It What's your input? Should I stick to the original color due to its history, or should I paint it any color I like. What's the resale value difference? Was Aspen Green considered a highly valued color? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old October 19th, 2016, 03:04 AM
Lansing built

I am purist myself so originality means so much! But as far as color hurting the value, no not really! Color on most any car has to deal with choice and what works best.

The paint on stripes would be factory! If you do change the exterior color, what is the current interior color scheme? But if you doing a full resto, than you can make it what you want.

Pat
Old October 19th, 2016, 04:29 AM
Runner

I think aspen green looks great.

Old October 19th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Typically, a properly done repaint in an originally-available color for that year will not negatively impact value and may actually increase value. Of course, if the interior is also green, that's an expensive color change.

The original stripes WERE painted on. Olds didn't use vinyl stripes except on the Rallye 350.
Old October 19th, 2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by joffroi
i think aspen green looks great.

x2
Old October 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM

I personally am not a fan of Aspen Green, but have you thought about painting on gold stripes? They were available and would be considered correct with AG, and I think the combo could look quite awesome.

That way, you manage to maintain the car's pedigree while actually making it more palatable, depending on your sensibilities.
Old October 19th, 2016, 09:44 AM

I agree with Joe. If you do a good quality paint job in an optioned color for that year it may add to the value. If I was in the market for a 70 done right Green would not be one I would consider regardless of anything else. for the most part.

I have always said this: "it is your car make it what you want"

If you are looking to make it the car worth the most money. Then a 100% correct concourse restoration is the best. But, to be honest most cars are over restored. These cars came out of the factory to be sold and driven not museum pieces.

Make it what you want. Unless you are going to sell it.

Just my input

Larry
Old October 19th, 2016, 01:53 PM

I have the same dilemma. Go with the color scheme you like. If your interior is green then your color options are limited. If it's white or black I'd say pick a color from the 1970 palette and run with it.