Omni Paint Line

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:28 AM

Omni Paint Line

Hi all,
Has anyone used Omni paint/primers before? This is a the second line of PPG. I have never used this system before but on paper looks ok. I typically use PPG K-36/K-38 but it seems not many shops are using what I have used in the past. Just looking for some opinions on this system. Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:59 AM
Registered

The pro painter guys on the body and paint forums seem to like the PPG Omni line.
I lurk around at a couple to get info and learn. The guys there pointed me in the right direction when I was doing my bodywork and priming.

http://www.autobodystore.com/forum/

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM

Isnt OMNI now Shopline?
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM

I use Omni does ok for me and priced right for the do it yourself guys.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the sites. Checked them out and for the most part omni is ok but some don't like it and some love it. I may try it on the frame of the vista I am doing and see how it works.
Originally Posted by Bluevista
The pro painter guys on the body and paint forums seem to like the PPG Omni line.
I lurk around at a couple to get info and learn. The guys there pointed me in the right direction when I was doing my bodywork and priming.

http://www.autobodystore.com/forum/

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM

Which primer do you use?? it looks like there is a 2 part epoxy like DP-90 and 182 2K high build primer like K-36.
Originally Posted by jj1965
I use Omni does ok for me and priced right for the do it yourself guys.
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I use the high build and block it out before topcoating. It sands good wet or dry seems to be better to sand wet for a smoother finish. I also reduce the primer on the final coat for less orange peel.
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Did one of my 65's using only Omni stuff...Acrylic urethane and it turned out awesome...cannot beat the price...I mixed an extra gallon of paint for possible coverage issues (Omni appears to have less solids than the more expensive stuff) but didnt need it. Now I have extra in case of issues down the road.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Originally Posted by TK-65
Isnt OMNI now Shopline?
It's different, but I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued the Omni and pushed the shopline in it's place.

If you are a novice, I would strongly recommend that you try some of sherwin-williams stuff. It is hands down the most user friendly product you can buy. Every manufacturer has their value priced lines of different single stage paints and they are all going to be fairly comparable, so go with what you know. If you don't know anything... Good luck! People talk about the paints having less pigments and how thin the cheap paints are, but the bottom line is that paint technology is the best it's ever been and some of these cheap paints will perform and last beyond anything you could imagine when these cars were being manufactured. Every time the paint manufacturers introduce the newest paint product, we're all amazed about how thin it is in the can. "What is this crap? It's like water" can be heard echoing through the shop. But the film builds are just as good or better than before.
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM

I am going to try the omni epoxy primer and high build on the frame and see how it goes. I will be using the MP172 and MP282 and single stage urethane on the frame. I stopped by my local ppg store to get a price on the basecoat I wanted (Copper Penney out of the radiance line) and was told it is $180 a pint!!!!!!. This car would need at least 6-8 qts with painting the bottom so I will be going with something else. I will be spraying the epoxy this afternoon and see how it turns out. Thanks for all the advise.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:12 PM

Ok guys here the way to use Omni mp170, mp171, or mp172

Do you heavy bodywork. Hammering, welding, cutting… when done

Get it down to metal or down to good paint. Hit it with two coats of mp170, mp171, or mp172. Each MP17x is one is a different color, gray, white, black, pick a color that is not the same as your primer. Put it on at .1 mil coat, if you’re going to do a lot of work on a spot run it thicker. Wait 30 minutes and hit it with a primer MP282 (2K), it is reddish brown. This is a quick build up primer. Let it all dry.

Now you can start your light bodywork. If you hit the first coat of primer STOP SANDING!! Hit with MP 282 primer and go back to work.

Here is why: How many times have you seen the rust stain around filler. The filler will suck in water and then rust under the filler. This happens when you wet sand or as it just sits there. The mp170, mp171, or mp172 primer is an epoxy primer and will seal the metal. I found it works better that etching primer for metal. Use etching primer on aluminum.

I’ve been shooting this way for the last couple of years and it works great. Omni is a lower cost paint that works great.

I know everyone has his or her way. If you have something better, let me know.