Got fish eye !

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Got fish eye !

Cleaned up a few iron rims yesterday for my 55 and one of them came up with a case of fish eye when I primed it. Is there an easy way to get rid of silicone contamination? It probably got it from a tire shine product that I won at a car show. I'll strip it again but I have seen this return before in furniture coatings, and can be very hard to get rid of on porous wood surface. Any tricks to the trade. I would like to NOT have to buy a jug of smoothie for one rim......Thanks ....Tedd
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Since you just primed it, recon you can thoroughly sand down the affected areas, clean with acetone, then reprime?
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM

I'd take the primer back off because sanding will just move around whatever is on there even if it's cleaned again. Once fisheyes show up in any finish, you need to get that finish off unless you want to use "smoothie". Some of these rubber shine products or vinyl protectants are very tough to get rid of. After you strip the wheel down, I would clean it several times with lacquer thinner. I would clean the wheel front, back and inside because the stuff can be anywhere. And when you think it's clean, clean it again. Change the rags or towels with each cleaning. Also, watch what the wheel was sitting on when you sprayed it. I would change or clean that too. I worked in the auto body business years ago and vinyl top cars were a real problem if the car came in for paint work and the owner just shined up the top. It took a lot of wax and grease remover to get those cars to the point where they would not get fisheyes. Also, make sure there is no oil in your compressed air fom the compressor. Use one of the small filters on the inlet of your spray gun to clean the air before it goes into the spray gun. Since it sounds like the other wheels were OK, it's likely something on that wheel.
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Came out great. thanks for the help....Tedd
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:43 AM

You need to use a Degreaser that will removes Silicone, Oils and prep surfaces to be painted.

This is a must for a good paint job and can be bought at any automotive paint supply lik a PPG shop.