brush it?

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM

brush it?

I have a small area to paint and can't really go out and buy a compressor etc. Can I brush it on? Or maybe use a hand pumped sprayer (garden) for a one-time use only?
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I have never tried one but I heard they work well for small jobs.

http://www.prevalspraygun.com/automotive.htm
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ztim
I have a small area to paint and can't really go out and buy a compressor etc. Can I brush it on? Or maybe use a hand pumped sprayer (garden) for a one-time use only?
You can try touching up the area (assume you're talking about rock chip?)with a small paintbrush (local hobbyshop). When it's all dried (give it at least a week) wet sand the area VERY carefully and Lightly to take away the surface dimples you may have left when painting. Then, power polish the whole area to a nice shine. If you do it right, and have the right color paint, you will have to get really close to see the fix.

If this is a larger area, get the paint code off the car. Lots of parts stores also mix custom spray bombs with semi adjustable nozzles. That can work really well. I've done it for an entire door and there were no color match issues. Let the paint dry (again for at least a week or more) then LIGHTLY buff with a polishing compound to smooth it out and raise the sheen.
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Local Carquest stores mix up paint and put it in spray cans.
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Thanks guys. I'll look into that prevalspray gun. The link looked good.

As far as matching the paint...I went to a paint store and a guy came outside with some kind of unit that he put on the car and was able to read what color it was and how to make it. He did this on three areas of the car so I'm pretty sure I will have a decent match.
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM

You could also use an air brush bought at a hobby store for less than $50. This combined with color match paint available in the small tubes at your local auto parts store would work well for small rock chips. Definitely make sure you wet sand and buff it. That makes a world of difference. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM

That preval spray gun looks pretty neat. It is a jar (holds the paint) underneath what looks like a sray can with a propellent on top. The whole thing costs less than the charge for s&h. The whole thing with tax is $11.67 from a place called ToolTopia. That is a heck of a lot better than $50 for a one time only job.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM

That preval spray gun looks pretty neat. It is a jar (holds the paint) underneath what looks like a sray can with a propellent on top. The whole thing costs less than the charge for s&h. The whole thing with tax is $11.67 from a place called ToolTopia. That is a heck of a lot better than $50 for a one time only job.

If you have a O'reillyS Auto parts store nearby they have them on the shelf. I believe I saw them at Home Depot also.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM

That is a heck of a lot better than $50 for a one time only job.
Indeed it is. I didn't check out the link because I was at work (have to be careful). Anwyays, if it is only $12 I would jump on that deal like a firestorm on the Hindenberg.
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM

I went to our "auto part store" row. I started with O'reilly's and worked my way down the line. Nobody had them. The only place I didn't go into was OEM. OEM is a last resort for me since the folks who have the franchise there did me wrong once. Anyway, I already ordered from the online store.
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM

I have a local paint store down the road who have mixed/matched and put in spray cans all the paint I have needed for small areas. I'm sure you could find a store in your locality that could do this. Chumley
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Chumley is correct. Local auto parts stores and paint shops will usually mix up 1 can of color match spray paint for less than $15.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM

The Prval sprayer came in. It has a 4oz jar that fits under a spray can of propellant. The can has a plastic tube that runs down into the jar. The whole thing looks like a huge purfume bottle. There are also directions on how to mix different paints for different jobs. I'll try it out within a week or so once the weather cooperates. (no garage)
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

the Preval works great for what it is. It definitely depends on the size and location of the area you are trying to paint that will determine the quality of the result.
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Preval worked fairly well considering you do not have any control over the air pressure. I found it is pretty much like a normal spray paint can. If you plan on using it more than once, have some kiind of cleaner to run through it before it sets up.