'70 442 Stripe Question

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2013, 06:40 PM

'70 442 Stripe Question

Hello, Mike here, and this is my first post. I'm in the midst of painting the stripe on a '70 442 W-30 and I have a quick question. I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. Is the stripe on the door parallel to the bottom edge? I know that the W-30 emblem is centered in the stripe and if it is parallel to the bottom door edge, what's the dimension? Is it the same on the front of the door and the rear? Any help would be a blessing. I have looked at all sorts of original prints and diagrams and there seems to be a gray area as this is only called out(the only one I can find) on a blueprint of the pace car. The hood stripe I read is 5/8" from the edge of the scoop... Am I close? I read where the wheel wells are approx 7/16" from the lip edge. Thanks in advance, Mike
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:56 PM

You can find the stripe measurements and placements at wildaboutcars.com. however, I will say that the factory stripes on my deck lid did not mesh with the specs on the instruction sheet and I took pics (how I knew). Also the door stripes should follow the curvature of the door about 8" from the bottom.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:50 PM

I did check that site while doing a search here. They didn't have that dimension on them and the prints shown are the same as the photocopied pages I recieved from stencil company I ordered the kit from. Didn't really help me much. Better yet, how about the bottom of the stripe to where the quarter meets the rocker(seam) at the edge of the door. This way, I know where the fender is supposed to be and with knowing the distance where the quarter stripe is, I can nail the door and get it right. I thought about buying a laser level that would put a line down the whole car and then I know i'd be right on... This project is for a friend whos is a forum member here... I replaced both quarters, outter wheel houses, one trunk extension(drop off), put it on the rotisserie for a quick blast and paint, and finishing up the color and stripes... In just over 6 mos and that's working on it part time... I have full time job outside the auto-restoration business I have...for now...Mike
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:12 PM

OK. I'm not quite shure what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it.the decimal measurements in the manual will not be the same as commonly available tape from anybody so you must be creative. The other thing I will say with confidence is that these cars were assembly line produced and it happened quickly. So, when laying the tape out do it like a vinyl pinstripe and run your tape out without bending or twisting the tape and bring it to the panels gently. Make shure you are happy with the placement before pressing the tape to the panel. So "plant" the tape at the fender or quarter panel then run the tape out and terminate the opposite end. The factory stripes were not laser perfect so if you get them straight and have clean edges then you should be happy with your results. If I got this all wrong let me know.