Barrett - Jackson

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM

Barrett - Jackson

Just wondering why I don't see more Olds. products on the Barrett-Jackson auctions. There are always a couple 30's - 50's restorations but not really much in the 60's and early 70's era.

Not that much interest, collector wise? Not that plentlful or too plentyful?

I saw a bunch of Fords and Chevy's that I didn't perticularly find that special. I would rather have the cars I see on this forum than the ones I saw on the auction, course I'm partial to Cutlass'.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I think in the long run it comes down to BJ (Steve Davis mostly) decides what to auction based on what they think will be popular and will sell for the highest dollar. I'm sure they factor rarity and uniqueness into the equation too.

Last year they put up an Olds Cutlass Supreme on Day 1?? that sold for around 33,000.00. Only thng: it had a 454 BBC overbored to 460 putting out 440 lb/ft of torque. Nice looking car but not all Olds.

I just looked at the 2009 listing and there appears to be a better than previous years listing of 1967-1972 Cutlass 442 models. Of course they also have the older models represented, including a rolling chassis from the 20's. One of the Darth Vader Cutlasses is on the block this year! And, there is a gorgeous red 1967 442 convertible. Have to wait to see what the market is willing to pay.

BTW, several of the 70's models that are listed look like you could buy them at a local dealer, with either no cleanup or detail or minimal eye candy. That may send a wrong message to the buyers about what Olds ownership is about.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Oldsdruid

Be glad you don't see them at that dog and pony show. It keeps them affordable.

I do not watch B-J because it has become a circus, and has artificially skewed collector car values. I watch it, I get angry, so the best thing to do is not even watch Speed channel in January.

A guy over on AACA summed it up. He said that to give you an idea of the type of people that auction attracts, it was the only place he'd ever seen a man wearing a full-length fur coat. Too much money, too little core values.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM

the only place he'd ever seen a man wearing a full-length fur coat
I'm sorry but I wouldn't be caught dead in a full lenght fur coat even if I had the money. That is just...
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Land Yacht Skipper

I watched "MUSCLE IN SCOTTSDALE "
Muscle In Scottsdale 2008 Auction on RushHD or TreasuresHD

See the finest automobiles on the market roll through Russo and Steele's Scottsdale Auction. Car experts Bill Stephens and Keith Martin will you give you a play by play of the best automobile auction in the world.

Reasonable bidding

Last edited by 69convertible; January 2nd, 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Toro68

Exclamation B-J auction

Here is a link of an Oldsmobile that was sold through B-J, in the spring of 2005. I think it was Lot# 609, it sold for a little over $10,500. The car when to New York, and later than year it back to North Carolina(again)
Well here is the link and the story to the best of my knowledge.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2987129

Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Be glad you don't see them at that dog and pony show. It keeps them affordable.

I do not watch B-J because it has become a circus, and has artificially skewed collector car values. I watch it, I get angry, so the best thing to do is not even watch Speed channel in January.

A guy over on AACA summed it up. He said that to give you an idea of the type of people that auction attracts, it was the only place he'd ever seen a man wearing a full-length fur coat. Too much money, too little core values.
I'm glad we *don't* see more Oldsmobiles on BJ. I would think by now "we" would realize that seeing higher values for our cars is *not* a good thing. Sure, initially it is a flattering thing to hear your car is more valuable. But from that point on, it is down hill. Activity in the hobby becomes "all about the money", not the people and the cars. And the the people and the cars suffer at the expense of the profiteers.
Yes, I watch BJ. With that morbid train-wreck-watching interest.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM

IMHO Its a lot of rich, look what I can buys most of them have never had a lick of grease under their nails nor will they. you know the ones "look I just paid a million for a old dodge" see I do have more money than you.
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
GM Enthusiast

I'm glad we *don't* see more Oldsmobiles on BJ. I would think by now "we" would realize that seeing higher values for our cars is *not* a good thing. Sure, initially it is a flattering thing to hear your car is more valuable. But from that point on, it is down hill. Activity in the hobby becomes "all about the money", not the people and the cars. And the the people and the cars suffer at the expense of the profiteers.
Yes, I watch BJ. With that morbid train-wreck-watching interest.
I watch it too. For the same reason.
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:49 PM

I'll be there in a couple weeks

I got a bro-in-law in Scottsdale but I don't know how I'll fit in with all those big shots.
Dave