Is there a 1969/1970 442 repair manual out there?

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2015, 03:46 PM

Is there a 1969/1970 442 repair manual out there?

Hey, simple question as I figured it'd be a good read. Are there any Haynes-like repair manuals out there for a 69 or a 70 442? I always thought there would be a Haynes manual for these cars, but can't seem to find any.

Any suggestions for other kind of info books for research/learning are also more than welcome!
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Outside of a chassis manual (buy an original, not a copy), I use Motors Manuals. They can be bought in a range of years and contain a wealth of information not only for your car but other makes in those years also. Haynes manuals are used for doorstops, toilet paper, or steps for small people to see over the fender.
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:16 PM

I have used my 1968-1975 Chilton's manual for years with great results. If you want detail, buy the manual specific to the car...I agree with oldcutlass - the copies can be a bear to read
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe hatton
i have used my 1968-1975 chilton's manual for years with great results. If you want detail, buy the manual specific to the car...i agree with oldcutlass - the copies can be a bear to read
x2
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why would you want a low-quality Haynes manual when you could get a high-quality Chassis Service Manual?

- Eric
Old August 10th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Why would you want a low-quality Haynes manual when you could get a high-quality Chassis Service Manual?

- Eric
^^^THIS!!!

The Haynes/Motors/Chiltons manuals are all simply abridged versions of the CSM. Get an original paper copy of the CSM (and Fisher Body Manual while you're at it) and don't waste time or money on lesser books. Good used originals are on ebay all the time. DO NOT waste your money on CD versions either, as there were no electronic originals. The CD versions (and most repro versions) are simply scans of a paper original manual. Detail ALWAYS gets lost in the scanning process.
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:42 AM

I didn't even know such a thing was available. You post and you learn on this forum. Would a novice like myself be able to use the Chassis Repair Manual? I'm no mechanic, and I'm not well-learned when it comes to terminology

Last edited by Zrzoun; August 11th, 2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old August 11th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Even if you yourself can't use the info, whoever tools on the car can.
Old August 11th, 2015, 05:40 AM

No one is "well-learned" until they are. Get a Service Manual and read it. You'd be amazed at how much you can learn. And when things are confusing or you have questions, use the Forum and ask questions.

If you can read stay organized and follow directions, you can do a lot.
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zrzoun
I didn't even know such a thing was available. You post and you learn on this forum. Would a novice like myself be able to use the Chassis Repair Manual? I'm no mechanic, and I'm not well-learned when it comes to terminology
The CSM describes both the repair process and the theory behind the system in question, so it's a valuable resource for even the novice. The only problem with the factory books is that they reference the use of factory Kent Moore tools in some instances. You can often work around these, or find replacements from companies like OTC, KD, or Lisle. Also, with GM dealerships closing down over the last few years, many of the Kent Moore tools are on ebay now.

Old August 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM

Yeah, aiming to learn as much as I can, will definitely pick up one of these when I can. Thanks, guys, appreciate the help!
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The thing to do is to leave the manuals beside you hangout position (easy chair, whatever), and just go through them, page by page, looking at all of the pictures and headings and reading anything interesting. When you do work on your car, the information you've absorbed will be very helpful, and you'll know where to look for anything else you need.

(If everyone did this, the number of questions asked on these boards would probably decline by half....... but I shall stop, as I risk flameage...).

- Eric
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Oldsdruid

Zrzoun is in Northern Europe, where a Haynes manual would be more common and GM manuals uncommon.

You can find these manuals on ebay or literature dealers and most will ship to Europe.

You need: 1969 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual and 1969 Fisher Body Manual. There are also assembly manuals available for your car, taken right from the factory's engineering drawings and processes.
Old August 11th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Zrzoun is in Northern Europe...
Missed that.

In that case, considering shipping costs and times, he may benefit temporarily from spending the $25 to joint the Automotive History Preservation Society, from which he can download scans of all of those manuals (immediately, and at no further cost), as well as a lot of other information, while he waits for his paper manuals to arrive.

- Eric
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zrzoun
Yeah, aiming to learn as much as I can, will definitely pick up one of these when I can. Thanks, guys, appreciate the help!
I have an original 1969 Chassis Service Manual that came out of a large Eastern Ontario, Canada Dealership.
The lettering on the cover is about 1/2 faded away but the interior of the book is very clean and complete. The odd thumbprint here and there and the odd mechanic's notation; but remember, this was a daily used book in a dealership. You won't be afraid to take it into the shop for fear of getting a smudge on it.

I got it last summer from an 85 yr. old former GM Master Mechanic who was a real fountain of GM knowledge. He could listen to a car running and, pretty much, tell you exactly what was wrong with it.

PM me if you're interested in the book and we can go from there.

Just an FYI to any interested, I took over 400 books from his library so there's a real good selection of Olds Manuals and Part catalogues.

Ron