fuel pickup sock

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2015, 07:03 AM

fuel pickup sock

Last weekend I parked my 68 Cutlass Supreme on a slight angle in the parking lot and when I came back out it had leaked a small amount of fuel. So great, a hole in the tank so I pulled it. Turned out to be the fuel vent hose was cracked, easy fix. Do these two vent hoses just kind of float around up in the RR spring area? Then i took out the pickup to see why my fuel gauge wasn't working and with my ohm meter seen the numbers were changing as I moved the float so I assume the sending unit works. The problem is the fuel sock-filter on the pickup disinigrated when I touched it. Just took it off. I've got an in line filter will this be a problem? From what I've read on here they aren't replaceable without replacing with a new mickey mouse chinkaneese unit.
Old August 9th, 2015, 09:11 AM

It would be very helpful to know what car we're talking about here.

Originally Posted by biggus
Do these two vent hoses just kind of float around up in the RR spring area?
Most likely, yes, but they're clipped to the underside of the body. That's how they're arranged on my '67 Delta 88. Do you have a factory service manual?

Originally Posted by biggus
The problem is the fuel sock-filter on the pickup disinigrated when I touched it. Just took it off. I've got an in line filter will this be a problem? From what I've read on here they aren't replaceable without replacing with a new mickey mouse chinkaneese unit.
I wouldn't automatically assume that a replacement fuel gauge sending unit will be bad. Many people, including me, need them, buy them, install them, and they work just fine. Spectra-Premium is a common brand. I put one in my '67 Delta back in 2009, and it has worked fine ever since. I bought it from rockauto.com.
Old August 9th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Rocketeer

I just bought a fuel sock on ebay. $10. Works fine.