Changing Speedometer mileage

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2015, 06:26 AM

Changing Speedometer mileage

Hello my Speedo is messed up and I was wondering if there was a way to change the mileage on them. I have a different one but I want to keep the same mileage as well as the purpose of the inspection mileage. Thanks
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dbechtel71
Hello my Speedo is messed up and I was wondering if there was a way to change the mileage on them. I have a different one but I want to keep the same mileage as well as the purpose of the inspection mileage. Thanks
You can disassemble the speedo, remove the odometer drum, and set it to the mileage you want. Be careful as there are thin plastic separators between the individual wheels of the odo drum that register the wheels in the speedo housing. Do not break these and be sure they go back into place properly when you reassemble. You can also simply swap the old odo drum into the new speedo.
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:12 AM

It can be done. But in most states it is illegal. Most likely you will need to re-register your car "TMU" (True Mileage Unknown).
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You can disassemble the speedo, remove the odometer drum, and set it to the mileage you want. Be careful as there are thin plastic separators between the individual wheels of the odo drum that register the wheels in the speedo housing. Do not break these and be sure they go back into place properly when you reassemble. You can also simply swap the old odo drum into the new speedo.
How do you disassemble the drum itself? I tried it and it's a pain in the butt to get the correct mileage. It has the metal tabs that have a notch in them three of them sit inside the odo housing and don't move I believe I may just have to regeister the car as mileage unknown if I can't do it thanks
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chip-powell
It can be done. But in most states it is illegal. Most likely you will need to re-register your car "TMU" (True Mileage Unknown).
No, it is NOT illegal. First, read the OP's question. He wants to reset the ODO on a replacement speedometer to read the current, ACTUAL mileage. That is not only completely legal but the preferred approach when the speedo must be replaced. Second, if you actually read the law, you will see that changing mileage is illegal only if done WITH INTENT TO COMMIT FRAUD. It is pretty obviously legal to replace a speedometer when it's broken. That's why every state in the union has a process for certifying mileage accuracy. There is no need to "reregister" the car. Usually you simply fill out a section on the title document if and when you ever sell the car.
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:24 AM

No, it is NOT illegal. First, read the OP's question. He wants to reset the ODO on a replacement speedometer to read the current, ACTUAL mileage. That is not only completely legal but the preferred approach when the speedo must be replaced. Second, if you actually read the law, you will see that changing mileage is illegal only if done WITH INTENT TO COMMIT FRAUD. It is pretty obviously legal to replace a speedometer when it's broken. That's why every state in the union has a process for certifying mileage accuracy. There is no need to "reregister" the car. Usually you simply fill out a section on the title document if and when you ever sell the car.
Thanks Joe I may just put in the second odo and leave that drum in place if I can't reset the mileage
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dbechtel71
How do you disassemble the drum itself? I tried it and it's a pain in the butt to get the correct mileage. It has the metal tabs that have a notch in them three of them sit inside the odo housing and don't move I believe I may just have to regeister the car as mileage unknown if I can't do it thanks
I've done this many times, as I always reset mine to 000000 when I rebuild a car. You don't disassemble the drum, you simply remove it from the housing and rotate the wheels to get the reading you want. They only rotate one way, if I remember correctly, but it's been a while since I did one.
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:26 AM

I've done this many times, as I always reset mine to 000000 when I rebuild a car. You don't disassemble the drum, you simply remove it from the housing and rotate the wheels to get the reading you want. They only rotate one way, if I remember correctly, but it's been a while since I did one.
Ok thanks a lot I'll give it a try again