Bumper jack foot plate

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Bumper jack foot plate

So, I've had my 1966 Starfire home for a few weeks, haven't been able to get it in the air (no concrete and the whale pushed the floor jack through the plywood), haven't been able to open the trunk (no key yet and the popper is vacuum operated I presume), it's a mile from the small opening behind the back seat to the trunk latch, but I borrowed enough extensions from my neighbor to take the lid mounted part of the latch off this morning...no jack base. Complete jacks on Ebay are $160...I don't need the whole jack...anyone have a spare base sitting around they'd be willing to part with for something significantly less than $160? Every time I turn around there's something else...I think I should get used to that. Oh, and I can see the ground and the fuel tank through the trunk pan; any vendors have repros or am I going to be doing this from scratch. And please don't tell me that I'd be better to scrap it and get something else...that's not an option and I am one to never give up on anything. Thanks.
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by jrainwater73
So, I've had my 1966 Starfire home for a few weeks, haven't been able to get it in the air (no concrete and the whale pushed the floor jack through the plywood), haven't been able to open the trunk (no key yet and the popper is vacuum operated I presume), it's a mile from the small opening behind the back seat to the trunk latch, but I borrowed enough extensions from my neighbor to take the lid mounted part of the latch off this morning...no jack base. Complete jacks on Ebay are $160...I don't need the whole jack...anyone have a spare base sitting around they'd be willing to part with for something significantly less than $160? Every time I turn around there's something else...I think I should get used to that. Oh, and I can see the ground and the fuel tank through the trunk pan; any vendors have repros or am I going to be doing this from scratch. And please don't tell me that I'd be better to scrap it and get something else...that's not an option and I am one to never give up on anything. Thanks.
I suggest 2x lumber like 2x12 x3 ft for jack to ground contact.
If plywood is forced into the ground, won't a factory jack base to the same thing? You can use the 2x12 under the bumper jack too of course.

You could access the vacuum line at the switch in/near the glovebox and apply vacuum with tester or lungs and pop the trunk open. Or make a key from the code on the glovebox cylinder... which you can still do.

"I can see the ground and the fuel tank through the trunk pan"
======================
That is usually a good sign that it's a bad candidate for fixing up. You do what you gotta do though.

Last edited by Octania; June 18th, 2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:41 AM

So was that a No, I don't have one? LOL Oh, you left out a bit of the message body... sorry. Thanks for the advice, too.

Last edited by jrainwater73; June 18th, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator

There was a time when all the wrecking yards had piles of those. Place an ad in the parts wanted section for the parts you need, hopefully one of the guys will step up.
Old June 18th, 2015, 12:51 PM

I have several jack bases. Can you take a couple pictures of your jack body? I need to see the shape of the bottom of it to try & match it up with what I've got.
Old June 18th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I need to see the shape of the bottom of it to try & match it up with what I've got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0618151649.jpg (940.2 KB, 25 views)
Old June 18th, 2015, 07:47 PM

Here you go. This one has been blasted & powder coated black. $35.00 shipped?
Paypal to scottawinn@sbcglobal.net or cash, check, or m.o. to:
Scott Winn
2428 Tulip drive south
Indpls, In. 46227
c. 317-727-7041

Old June 19th, 2015, 07:51 AM

That's great, Scott. Something has come up and I can't ask you to hold it for me but it may be a few weeks. Definitely a deal. Talk to you soon. Thanks.
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:53 AM

No problem just let me know when you're ready.