Rebuild log book

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM

Rebuild log book

I have heard friends talk about the rebuild log book and have heard it mentioned on 'Hot Rod TV" I suspect it is a log book a person uses to document parts and work done on the resto.
Rather then using some cheap notebook does any one know shops or places that sell them? I have done so many things to my car it would be nice to have a log.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think the whole point of a log book is to enter the data as you work on the car to avoid losing any information to poor memory. Doing that after the fact sort of defeats the purpose. Personally, I'd just use a spreadsheet in Excel or something, thereby avoiding loss of the book (which I would do). In fact, if you're clever, you could scan receipts and other documents and embed them in the spreadsheet so you'd always have them.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Or it's what most people display with their car to document the resto before and after with pic's, comments, costs, etc... I see alot of people at shows with them.
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by navvet
Rather then using some cheap notebook does any one know shops or places that sell them? I have done so many things to my car it would be nice to have a log.
FWIW that notebook isn't going to be any different than going to Staples and buying a hardcover notebook. This one is hardcover leather with coils, but you can get them otherwise too.

As you say there are lots of things you've done to the car. IMO it's not that important to have dates documentation as it is to have materials but you can certainly have both.

I don't agree it's just for someone who easily forgets things or for after the fact documentation, but it is a great help for those who use it that way. I think it's for the simple purpose of documentation. Like Joe P, I keep track of what's been done to my car using electronic format. He uses .xls I use .doc . IMO, the only thing nicer about .xls? it is easier to create a gant chart for target achievement and overlay of concurrent timelines for projects 'on the go'.