1968 Cutlas S antenna

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2012, 06:10 PM

1968 Cutlas S antenna

Hello everyone I am restoring a 1968 Cutlass S and I am looking for a stock radio antenna. I have not been able to find any information on a stock antenna or pictures of what it looked like. I have found some universal antennas that look pretty good but was curious if anyone actually knows what a stock antenna looked like and may have a pic of one. Thanks in advance........Todd
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Randy C.

In '68, they had two types of radio antennas. The one you find most is mounted on the passenger side front fender, on top near the back edge. If you have a hole in that fender, that's the type of antenna the car had/has. It basically has two parts. There's the part/pieces that go from the radio, through the metal wall on the passenger side and up through the hole in the fender to be held on by nut (with a gasket underneath it) on top of the fender. The next piece is the metal antenna itself, which mounts into the piece on the fender and is held in by a larger black plastic nut. If that's what you have, you can see a picture of what the top part of a reproduction antenna looks like in the Fusick catalog (www.fusick.com, part number 402253 (antenna) and part number AN679 (black plastick nut).

If you have a power antenna, it mounts on the passenger side quarter next to the trunk. If you have a hole back there, your car had a power antenna. You would have to find someone with a power antenna set-up and buy it from them. Those power antennas came in two applications - one for the hardtop & sport coupe and one for the convertible.

Randy C.
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Randy thank you for this information, wow I can't believe the cost of putting an antenna on a car. Fusick has everything except the base for the mast. where can I get the base with the wire lead to the radio? thanks again....Todd