Fuel Tank Options

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM

Fuel Tank Options

Thinking of replacing my tank in my 72 Cutlass after my episode of no fuel. My tank has probably crapped out on the inside. I do have all the ECC stuff with the 3 vent lines. The tank is over $240 for it. I found one that fits the 70 Cutlass with 1 vent for so much cheaper. Would it be easy to convert to the 1 vent style? Was thinking maybe just run a fuel cell if having to spend $240. That is just absurd!
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM

P.S. I do not have any of the Emissions on the car anymore as it came that way. The hoses are still there, but most not hooked to anything. I read online it has more to do with venting. Can I just patch the one vent line on the new tank into the main center ECC line?
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Inline Tube sells one for $169 with versions for the various years at the same price. Not sure what shipping would add and if you need sending unit, straps, etc. so you may get back to $240 or more quickly. The 69 has two vents open to the atmosphere so I do get a little gas odor in the garage when hot that the EEC would contain. Could also look at getting the exisiting tank refurbished locally.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info Dane. Yeah the shipping is the killer and brings anything I find over the top. I found this one for $100 shipped to me and brand new. Too good of a deal to pass up. I know I had a 68 Pontiac that would always have that fuel smell and afraid of running into that again
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM

Okay everyone, went ahead and purchased the tank for a 70 Cutlass. Here was the link if anyone was interested. Looks like everything should be fine, but the venting difference. Guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it since no one has answers for that. Does anyone have a vent/fuel line page from the 70 manual? My manual is for my 72 of course. Thanks!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:44 AM

When you get the tank, check the brazing where the neck joins the tank for cracks. I recently bought one from Rock Auto (the Spectra brand version) and am very happy with it, but during shipping the neck must have been hit against something (neck was sticking out of the main box - that's the way mine was packaged) and caused a crack in the brazing along where the tank/filler tube meet. Not a big deal -fixed at radiator shop for 10.00, but easier to do now rather than later. Good luck in your install - how does your sending unit look?
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks Costpenn, I will be sure to look out for that. I could see how that could get damaged though during shipment. I actually bought a new Spectra sender a while back. I have been reading and it looks like it may be best just to make it like a non-ecc tank and get a vented cap. I may try to hook my one and only vent line to the main vent canister to the back seat. I guess all that could happen is I would blow up right? haha
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:13 PM

I just picked up my Spectra tank tonight from O'reilly's and the filler neck is not even attached it was placed in the box separately does this sound correct if so do I solder it in?