Heater hose routing

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Heater hose routing

1953 88 with a 425 in it...

PO had not yet hooked up heater hoses. Heater core doesn't appear to leak, so I thought I'd try hooking everything up, just for kicks.

Looking it over, I realized I don't know for sure where the various connections are supposed to be.

There's a heater control at the firewall which actually works; no flow when it was closed, flow when it is opened. One of the hoses is just cut short and dangling, the other is connected to the heater core.

The heater core ports are side by side, with the left hand port connected to the heater control valve. The right hand port is cut short and dangling.

There are three ports, engine-side. One at the back of the intake manifold, one at the water pump, and one at the side of the block. These three ports are all plumbed together.

My thought is to block off the port on the side of the block, under the assumption that it was for a block heater which I won't be using.

My actual question is, should I route the water pump fitting to the heater core and the intake manifold port to the heater control valve, or vise-versa?

Thanks.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Erinyes
My actual question is, should I route the water pump fitting to the heater core and the intake manifold port to the heater control valve, or vise-versa?

Thanks.
Never seen a port on the side of the block. That's not factory. The port on the back of the intake should go to the valve. The outlet from the core goes to the water pump.
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks, Joe.

Yes, the hose going to the side of the block is pretty clearly added on. I'm guessing they wanted a drain, or had a block heater of some kind in there, and just plumbed all three ports together to block everything off when they did the swap. I'll put a more permanent plug in there.