Rebuild parts for '66 A/C Compressor..

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM

Rebuild parts for '66 A/C Compressor..

My '66 Toronado has Air conditioning, that currently doesn't work... And, in fact, is disconnected. But, the clutch is obviously broken, and I'd like to convert the whole thing to 134a, as Freon is a little expensive these days.

Having a hard time finding parts to rebuild my compressor. It's a Frigidaire, and the model on the plaque says it is 5910486.

Are these parts available? or do I have to bring it to a professional/replace it...

Thanks.
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Clutch parts and seals for the A6 compressor were available from aftermarket sources in the past. If the clutch is "obviously broken", I'm assuming some sort of physical damage. Often this is due to the compressor seizing and not being turned off promptly by the operator. When it seizes either the drive belt will break or the clutch will be destroyed. If the clutch is destroyed you should assume a seizure until proven otherwise. Speciaized tools are required to remove or install the clutch (one for each action). Other internal parts for the compressor are generally a bit more difficult to come by. Unless you are familiar with rebuilding the A6, I wouldn't attempt it. Rebuilt and functional used ones are available. Most people can remove and replace the A6 as a unit, but repairing the A6 is another story altogether. A conversion to 134a can be done, but don't make too many shortcuts in the approved procedure or the results will suffer.