what can I do with old vin plate and title.

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Question what can I do with old vin plate and title.

I have a 73 olds cutlass that I bought for junk, when i pulled it up to a haller the back end fell apart, was sitting in water. No water in the inside and motor still fires up but body is scrap. My question is the car has a good tenn. title and where I was salvaging what I could of the interior the dash came out complete and with no damage. Well had a guy stop by a couple of days ago and wanted to know about car and what I was doing with it, told him i was salvaging and then taking the body to junk, since it could not be saved. Well he told me of a 73 cutlass that he had and it did not have a title or vin number, and he asked me if I would sell the dash with the vin number and the title so that he could get that car titled. I think I know the answer to this question but I wanted to ask you all before I did something that could possiblely get me in trouble. Can I get in trouble for selling that vin number dash and title? Dont call me stupid for asking, just need to know the facts.
Thanks
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM

The guy probably wants the vin and title to put on his car to give it a clean title, or possiblly less milage car, which is illegal.

I wouldn't do it, but if you do, I'd ask this post to be deleted so there's no proof
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM

its illegal....HOWEVER check with the state DMV. SOME states will allow cars that have been salvaged to go through a special inspection that will "retitle" a car. The car MUST be in original safe condition with all receipts provided. I know NY used to allow them for rebuilt cars... may be something to look into. If you "sell him the whole CAR" what he does with the title and VIN is his business..

John
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Thats called a rebody. Illegal and rather upsetting to some. Especially if someone down the road buys it....then finds out. Tell him like eightupman says - go to the DMV and do it right!
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Past Administrator

I wouldn't do that for all the money in the world, cuz it would do me no good in prison.